Adding new hard disk(s) - what to buy and how to configure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Housekeeping
    Firstly, I understand that the forums are moving or whatever. But ... I looked on the new forum web site, and couldn't find any specific section for "Windows Home Server", so it was a bit difficult and confusing. Also; a search on Google or Live Search lead straight to these forums, so I assume it's still a work in progress, please update the search and forums.

Adding Hard Disks

Right now my WHS setup is 2x 80GB disks = 1x IDE and 1xSATA

I'm thinking about adding 1TB of more storage.

Okay:
    Question 1 - should I go out and buy a 1TB SATA disk? or should I go out and buy 2x 500GB disks?  ... for duplication feature or whatever? and just good form in general if long term WHS doesn't work out and you want to raid or keep identical disks in future? So this means overall I'll have about 1160GB (=1TB + 2x80GB) worth of space

Question 2 - If I do add 1TB of storage ... should I install the WHS system files (i.e. the disk with the WHS logo on it) on the 1TB disk?
    Currently the WHS system files are on the "old" 80GB IDE disk. WHS just installed on that disk b/c it was the first one in line/order in the BIOS.

Question 3 - And if I do a reinstall will it take long like the first time I installed WHS? and will I have to re-do all the client connector installs (currently 3 clients connect to WHS server).

Thanks.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:55 AM

Answers

• Question 1 - why not 2x1TB? Smile
    Generally it is good idea to buy in twos. Folder duplication will place a copy of a file on two different drives. It doesn't mean they would go directly to your two new drives, but this is likely the case if your old drives are already full of data. It doesn't mean that WHS can't adapt to just one new drive either.
    WHS does not use any form of RAID. It is discouraged, but certainly possible, to run your disks in RAID as long as they appear to WHS as one disk.

Question 2 - Not necessary. WHS with PP1 will automatically send files to your free space drives... ala, your 1 TB ones.

Question 3 - Yes.. perhaps longer as it needs to rebuild the file database and check for the correct files.
    The client connectors may have to be reconnected as well.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:44 AM

All replies

• Question 1 - why not 2x1TB? Smile
    Generally it is good idea to buy in twos. Folder duplication will place a copy of a file on two different drives. It doesn't mean they would go directly to your two new drives, but this is likely the case if your old drives are already full of data. It doesn't mean that WHS can't adapt to just one new drive either.
    WHS does not use any form of RAID. It is discouraged, but certainly possible, to run your disks in RAID as long as they appear to WHS as one disk.

Question 2 - Not necessary. WHS with PP1 will automatically send files to your free space drives... ala, your 1 TB ones.

Question 3 - Yes.. perhaps longer as it needs to rebuild the file database and check for the correct files.
    The client connectors may have to be reconnected as well.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:44 AM
  • Thanks!!

Evaders99 wrote:
    Question 1 - why not 2x1TB? Smile
    Generally it is good idea to buy in twos.

Mate ... I wish ... too many mouths to feed at my family ... have to watch the budget.

Cheers.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

You won't actually have that much free space, WHS retains up to about 20GB on each data drive to allow for file expansion. Therefore, if you have plenty of empty space, then your 80GB drive would in reality, only hold about 60GB.

As mentioned, buying drives in two's (both the same size), after the system drive, is the preferred option, as it allows the most flexibility for the server storage and duplication.

Colin

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Housekeeping: Until these forums are shut down you should continue to use them. Some hours after they shut down here they will come back up over there, and this location will redirect you. In the mean time, there's no over there over there, if you follow. Smile

Adding hard drives: I would add a pair of disks. 2x500 GB is better than 1x1 TB in this case.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Adding in pairs will defiltely be in your interest considering you only have 2 x 80GB drives to duplicate with a 1TB drive. I understand that 2 x 1TB drives is out of your price range but consider getting 2 x 640GB drives for about $10 more than a single 1TB drive.  It'll give you more space, duplicated drives and may still be within your budget.
    Friday, August 29, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Also keep in mind that most current 500/640GB drives are two platter while most 1TB drives are three or four platter (ie. commonly 250/320 up to 334GB max per platter).

That means that usually the 500/640 are quieter, use less power, and are faster than the 1TB drives.  Unless you get drives such as the WD GreenPower drives for less power consumption, but be aware that they use variable RPM (platter speed) between 5400 and 7200 so their performance is usually lower as well.

DG

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:53 AM