none
Forum post locked and answered cannot be opened

Question

• Hello All,

I posted a question and received some replies which I voted as helpful. The replies did not answer my question, however. After only a couple of days, the moderator locked the post and marked the replies as answers, which they are not. Is there anything I can do about this situation? I would like to re-open the post and remove the answer markings. I can't find a way to contact the moderator to let him know this is not correct, and can't change the markings on the answer as the post is locked. This in no way is a negative statement about the individual replying to the post. I truly appreciate his help. However, the replies did not answer the question I asked.

The link to the post is: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/7b22f9c8-ebce-4514-a45c-6591605240ce

Cheers,

Craig.

Monday, March 7, 2011 5:21 PM

Answers

• I've just reviewed your post and I think I can followed my (warped?) reasoning.

I took your final post in the thread as meaning that your original question had been answered but that in fact you had meant a different question.

Once the original question has been answered, new questions should always be asked in a new thread. By marking a post as answer and then locking (new MS rules seem to mean that only threads marked as answered can be locked) I was in effect saying (as the first replier in this thread mentioned) to ask the new question in a new thread. Usually I also say this as a Moderator Note in the post but sometimes time is short.

That said. Although that is probably what happened, it does seem a bit of a stretch to regard a clarification of a post as being a new question (which is what looking at it now seems to be the situation with this post of yours).

Note: that the act of locking is designed to indicate to forum readers that they no longer need to provide an answer to a thread. With some moderators marking posts as answers when the OP hasn't reacted to them in no more than a couple of days sometimes, threads marked with the green arrow are very often these days still needing answers yet the green arrow is putting people off reading them. Now in the SP forums - locked means (or should mean!) "includes an answer"; whereas the green arrow now means "might have an answer - but might not".

(Locking also keeps threads concentrated on the single subject in the title and stops them becoming crazily long (I've seen threads with 50 replies) with both new questions in the thread and many "thanks, that worked for me too" posts.)

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Marked as answer by J_Craig Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:28 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:37 PM

All replies

• You may start a new thread with a better explanation of your issue. I am sure, someone will be able to help you out.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:47 AM
  • I've unlocked the thread and unmarked the answer.

I clearly made a mistake when locking it because my intention is only to lock recent threads where the Original Poster has either marked a reply as an answer or otherwise said (in a reply) that his question has been answered (or both).

Here I went against that idea by myself marking the post as answer presumably on imagining that your reply had said that your problem had been solved. Clearly a momentary madness. So my apologies. (Chances are that it will happen again but the odds are against it happening to your threads)

Mike Walsh (Moderator pre-2010 forums)

Note the restriction above to recent threads in my requiring the OP to have said in some way that his *original* question has been answered. For much older threads if there is a reply marked as an answer and there is no post from the OP saying that his question was *not* answered, I will lock the thread. This is to avoid the numerous people who seem to think that an answered thread from 2010 (or 2009, 2008 or 2007!) is a good place to ask his new question. Locking keeps them out and keeps the threads short(ish) and mostly on topic.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I've just reviewed your post and I think I can followed my (warped?) reasoning.

I took your final post in the thread as meaning that your original question had been answered but that in fact you had meant a different question.

Once the original question has been answered, new questions should always be asked in a new thread. By marking a post as answer and then locking (new MS rules seem to mean that only threads marked as answered can be locked) I was in effect saying (as the first replier in this thread mentioned) to ask the new question in a new thread. Usually I also say this as a Moderator Note in the post but sometimes time is short.

That said. Although that is probably what happened, it does seem a bit of a stretch to regard a clarification of a post as being a new question (which is what looking at it now seems to be the situation with this post of yours).

Note: that the act of locking is designed to indicate to forum readers that they no longer need to provide an answer to a thread. With some moderators marking posts as answers when the OP hasn't reacted to them in no more than a couple of days sometimes, threads marked with the green arrow are very often these days still needing answers yet the green arrow is putting people off reading them. Now in the SP forums - locked means (or should mean!) "includes an answer"; whereas the green arrow now means "might have an answer - but might not".

(Locking also keeps threads concentrated on the single subject in the title and stops them becoming crazily long (I've seen threads with 50 replies) with both new questions in the thread and many "thanks, that worked for me too" posts.)

Mike

• Marked as answer by J_Craig Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:28 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on holidays. No stress at all. I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to reopen that thread (partially because the individual responding was being helpful). Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

Craig.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:28 PM