How do I save backups when reinstalling client software RRS feed

• Question

• How do I save backups when reinstalling client on pc that had the software already on it before. I had to reformat one of my computer hard drives that has XP PRO on it. I used the same computer name when I reinstalled XP. My problem is I already had 9 computers and the WHS that showes up on console . When install connector software on computer it states that I already have 10 computers on WHS and to remove 1 of the computers but I dont want to remove the computer that already had same name. Does anyone know a work around. Do I have to copy some file from that computer backups to the reformated PC ? Hope this makes sense LOL.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:24 PM

Answers

• If you're being told you already have 10 computers, then you must remove one of those computers before joining a new computer (even one reinstalled with the same OS and the same name is a "new" computer as far as Windows Home Server is concerned) to your server. There's no file you can copy, and no change on the server that you can make, that will link your "new" computer to the old one before the "new" one has been joined to the server. After that, it's possible (though unsupported) to link the computer to it's old backups; it requires registry changes on the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MJMGN Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:45 PM