resetting OneCare backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Steve,
    I started to do your 'How to reset backup plan settings (single PC)' procedure and when I got to 'click change settings in lower left' step, there is nothing in the lower left side.  I only get the 'where, when and what' on the right side.  Yesterday(11/1/09) I was looking thru OneCare to see how I could change the backup to a 'complete backup' and a dialog box poped up giving me the ability to make the change.  I seem to recall opening OneCare clicking on 'start backup'and the dialog box poped up, but decided to do the backup the next day.  Today(11/2/09) I started to do the backup and the dialog box that gave me the option to do a complete backup yesterday did not appear.  I have tried everything I could to get this dialog box without success.  How can I make this change to do a complete backup everytime?

TJMacc
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• Okay. Here's what you do. Once you have created the plan, you do not need to reset it. After you have performed the first backup, all subsequent backups are incremental if you simply let them run on schedule. However, if you open OneCare, and click Start Backup from the main page, you get two choices - Express Backup or Start New Backup. The latter will be a full backup to the same location as selected in your plan settings.
    I haven't looked at the backup dialog in a while. The change settings button will only appear when looking at backup on a hub PC.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:28 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you don't see the change settings link in the panel, but I'm at a disadvantage at the moment, since OneCare is not on the machine that I have with me today.
    The only way to perform a full backup each time, I believe, is to reset the saved plan. There may be an option to "backup now" from the main interface which will allow you to select a full or incremental backup.
    I'll have to get back to you on that unless someone else pops in to confirm or deny what I said above.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, November 2, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Okay. Here's what you do. Once you have created the plan, you do not need to reset it. After you have performed the first backup, all subsequent backups are incremental if you simply let them run on schedule. However, if you open OneCare, and click Start Backup from the main page, you get two choices - Express Backup or Start New Backup. The latter will be a full backup to the same location as selected in your plan settings.
    I haven't looked at the backup dialog in a while. The change settings button will only appear when looking at backup on a hub PC.

-steve
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:28 AM