Paid for renewal, but constantly asked to renew by Onecare RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently (in the past week) renewed my subscription to Onecare after being prompted by the application itself. Despite the renewal page telling me that I would get a free six month extention to my subscription and that there were 'no further steps to take' the full £37.99 subscription renewal charge was taken from my bank account. This is annoying in itself (being told it was free, then being charged), but paying for a year's subscription and then getting it is, I suppose, fair enough.

However, since renewing, I am still getting notices telling me to renew my subscription, despite the application showing a 2010 date for my next renewal. Consequently I will not be receiving updates, leaving me unprotected despite having paid for protection.

How do I get around this? I'm on the verge of calling to cancel my subscription - will I get my money back?

Thanks in advance!
    • Edited by Mark Phippen Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:38 PM typo
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have looked at the agreement I signed:

"Sign agreements and buy

• To sign the Agreements, type your name exactly as it appears below.
    Please correct the information in the boxes marked below with Input Error

Review your information and the service agreements, and then type your name to accept the agreements and complete your purchase.  

Review your information

Free 6 month extension of Windows Live OneCare
    This is a free six month extension to your Windows Live OneCare subscription. Microsoft is providing you with this no-cost extension because Windows Live OneCare will be removed from sale in 2009 and discontinued in 2010. You will continue to enjoy the full benefits of your subscription until its expiration. Look for additional emails with more information about your options shortly before your subscription expires. Thank you for choosing Windows Live OneCare. YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL NOT BE CHARGED AND NO ACTION ON YOUR PART IS REQUIRED. Offer valid in United Kingdom only."

The key part here is: "YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL NOT BE CHARGED AND NO ACTION ON YOUR PART IS REQUIRED". My credit card WAS charged £37.99 and I still don't have the service. Why?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Clearly, there is a problem since you were not supposed to be charged *and* your status has not updated yet.
    Normally, I'd say that your status will clear once the renewal date is reached, but I would pursue this immediately with customer service as you need a refund for that subscription charge.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/7c3d316f-d855-4a12-856e-470d8249bfd7I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

If you don't get an email response from me wthin 24 hours, post back as my email provider is getting more aggressive with the spam filtering.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Many thanks for your reply, Steve. I will mail you later from my own address (on work PC right now, webmail blocked). Thanks again.

Mark
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:44 PM
  • I'll await your email. If you don't hear back from me within a few hours of sending, post back here.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:05 PM