Home server keeps rebooting! RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,
            ive got a bit of a strange problem with my home server, in that at random it will shut down/reboot as it sees fit. ive looked through the event log to try to work out what the event is that causes the shut down/reboot but all i can see is " SCHANNEL " and the description of  "a fatal error has occered when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key". The error code returned from the crytographic module is 0x80090016".
    has anybody else had this error? it has only just started happening since the weekend and the only stuff i can find on tech-net does not seem to correspond to home server or this problem. Has anybody else had any similer problems?
    any help would be most appreciated!
    thanks, andy

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:35 PM

Answers

• Might that be an evaluation version?
    That 'randomness' wouldn't happen to be right about every hour, would it?
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:25 AM

All replies

• Might that be an evaluation version?
    That 'randomness' wouldn't happen to be right about every hour, would it?
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:25 AM
  • I don't think the Schannel event is causing the reboots. Chris could be right, expired trial version (sometimes they expire too early for no apparent reason) will show similar behaviour (regular, not random reboots). Also if you have SBS server in your network this issue could occur.

If none of these apply my guess is one or more of your hardware components are failing / about to fail. Also some (third party) drivers could be the root of your problem. In general I would advise anyone to stick with the drivers supplied by MS. Don't install third party drivers unless you really need them.

Has the server ever been running stable?

Do you have any other software installed on your server besides WHS (SQL server, Add-in's ...............)?
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:54 AM
  • Adding WHS to a domain will make it reboot every hour too...
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:57 AM
  • thanks for your reply. yes it is an evaluatuion version, however it isnt due to expire until til febuary 27th 2009.
    to answer one of the other questions, yes it has been rock solid for months and yes it seem to be every hour when it shuts down!. i think what i might do is, try a reinstall and see if the the problem remains. to be honest i thought it might have somthing to do with it reaching the end on the evaluation period?! im going of to reinstall right now and i'll post later and let you know if that solves my problem

thanks all,
    andy
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Hi Andy,
    sometimes evaluation ends before expected end due to issues (like a changed computer clock during the test period which may cause the time bomb to explode). Also if you activate a trial key, which was activated or expired before, this may cause an early end of that trial. The only option here (besides getting a new trial version key and reinstall) would be reinstall without a key, which allows to run the test for 30 days before activation is required.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:58 AM