Forefront 2010 for Sharepoint Email Alerts - Mailbox name not allowed RRS feed

• Question

• I couldn't find a dedicated Forefront forum so I hope I'm ok to post this question here? I recently installed Forefront Protection for Sharepoint 2010 and I'm getting a lot of critical alerts in the application log on our web server when Forefront sends alert emails. The emails are being routed out through our ISP and I get plenty of different emails fine. So I dont know why some are reporting this. It looks like I simply need to change the from address to something that matches our email domain. If that's true how do I do this? I cant find the option in the management interface. The error is:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        FSEMailPickup
    Date:          24/02/2011 08:28:16
    Event ID:      2063
    Task Category: General
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      VSP1.<domain>.com
    Description:
    An error occured. Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: VSP1.server does not exist
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="FSEMailPickup" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">2063</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-24T08:28:16.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>26919</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Vsp1.<domain>.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: VSP1.server does not exist</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thanks for any help...

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:33 PM Off-topic because it is not a SharePoint pre-2010 question (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:41 AM

Answers

• The default "From" address for FPSP email notifications are in the format of ForefrontServerProtection@%servername%.server.  That value will get read on start up and if there are email notifications configured to be sent for specific incidents or events then the emails will be sent with this address in the From field.

You can rename it to anything you want by editing the "FromAddress" registry key at the following path:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Forefront Server Security\Notifications

• Marked as answer by Paulyb101 Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hello

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the (SharePoint Products > SharePoint Products and Technologies Forums > SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))

located here:  (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/threads).

Hope that helps!

Have a great day!

Sudarshan shindode Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Friday, February 25, 2011 6:01 AM
  • The default "From" address for FPSP email notifications are in the format of ForefrontServerProtection@%servername%.server.  That value will get read on start up and if there are email notifications configured to be sent for specific incidents or events then the emails will be sent with this address in the From field.

You can rename it to anything you want by editing the "FromAddress" registry key at the following path:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Forefront Server Security\Notifications

• Marked as answer by Paulyb101 Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:00 PM
  • That's fixed it. Thank you.
    Paul
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:39 PM
  • sudarshan

Your suggestion is nonsense.

I am a Moderator in the pre-SharePoint 2010 forums and a look at the Moved By information in the first post would have shown you that the post was moved here FROM the exact pre-SharePoint 2010 forum that you are now suggesting it should be moved TO.

Please in future take more care when making your forum suggestions,

This suggestion was simply stupid.

Mike Walsh

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:27 PM