none
Error message "You have reached the maximum amount of transactions you will need to archive RRS feed

• Question

• The archive will not archive deposits that have investment purchases linked to them.  I have been using Microsoft Money 1995 since 1995 and it sings until now.  I converted to Money Deluxe 2005 and still can not add deposits.  I can still add expenses but no deposits.  As I said, the expenses archived but not the deposits so I have deposits all the way back to 1995.  Please help!

I even deleted deposits that were not related to investment purchases such as my biweekly payroll checks do.  Deleted 12 deposited (not payroll checks) from one year and added one for the total amount thinking it would free up space but no cigar!

Any ideas?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:00 AM

All replies

• I would try making a repaired version of your file with this sequence:

File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:43 AM
  • I don't recall seeing a report of the "You have reached the maximum amount of transactions..." error message.  Many posters on this forum have very large Money.mny files with no issues.  My 56Mb file has over 30,000 transactions.  (You can see the number of transactions by running the Account Transactions report, selecting "All Accounts" and "All Dates", and exporting to Excel.  After importing into Excel (or OpenOffice, LibreOffice, etc.) you can see the number of rows with transactions.)

If you have previously used the archive function, that might be a factor.  If Cal's suggestions don't help, let us know the size of your Money.mny file and your previous archive history.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:43 PM
  • If it has not been that long since you first archived, I would switch to your "Archive" file. The archive file is a copy of the Money file before archiving. How long has it been?

Archiving is usually not a good idea. For those who think it will make the file much smaller or faster, it does not do what they want.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:50 PM
  • If you still have the investment(s) the deposits are linked to the investment lots so cannot be archived or deleted until the investment(s) are deleted in Portfolio Manager.

See Deleting an investment in Microsoft Money .

The error message is probably misleading since Money would not expect attempts to delete investment related transactions. 

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Thank you all for answering, I will try the repair first.

I am still working, so each of my checks are still buying mutual funds so I would not want to delete any investment accounts.  I have never archived until I received that message, since most advice says "don't archive"

I will be in touch - and thank you.  This is my life blood and I've been using this religiously since 1995

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:43 PM
  • I took the file and followed your instructions and no luck.  The notepad stated no broken records.  The Money Deluxe 2005 version states when I try to add a deposit:

"This operation cannot be performed" 

Of course the more info button put you out to the web which is no longer supported

??????

Any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:57 PM
  • 38,596 KB  Not that big  I only archived once.  From 1995 to 2001 and it took out all the records (Deposits and Expenses) except my work check deposits and my wife's work check deposits which purchases stocks and are linked to the purchase on every check.

I did read that if the record is linked to deposits it will not archive so that makes sense.

Thank you!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:02 PM
  • I meant if the deposit is linked to the investment - the archive command will not archive it.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Just to be sure, - you may have done all this already:

- did you try Cal's file repair on the Money.mny file as it was before you did the archive?

- when you installed Money 2005 did you try opening the pre-archive Money.mny file?  Did that give an error message?

Were you using Money 95 all these years?

As a "last resort" you can export all your data in qif format and then import it to a newer version of Money.  If you are in the UK that would be Money 2005.  You will loose some information but it does give a nice clean Money file.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:22 AM
  • If you decide to try the QIF export+import, let us know. It will lose some things, but you will have a very clean and probably faster file.

If you do that, you could import into Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. You would lose some UK-specific things, and you would have some things renamed (ISA vs IRA for example). You would gain some improvements including an easy multiple-version backup, the ability to delete the bills. Bills are the cause of slow file syndrome.

For QIF, you can experiment and keep your other file to return to if you don't like the result. If you want to try with the Sunset, I would recommend using a different computer to make reverting easier. It is possible to have 2005 UK and Sunset on the same computer. It is the last-installed to have the QIF and OFX files associated with it.

Do you have a backup file that pre-dates the error messages? It is possible to take the QIF files from a newer file, edit them to delete older entries, and then bring those newer entries into the restored older file.

I just search the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset files. I find no occurance of "maximum amount of" in a case-insensitive search. I wonder if I would find such a string in 2005 UK. I found 3 occurances of "maximum amount", with two "maximum amount you" and one "maximum amount currently"

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:56 PM
  • Ok, now I am confused.  First off, I have Money Deluxe 2005 CD no UK version.  When I want to export it gives me the choice of regular accounts without investment accounts or just investment account.  I have been using the 1995 version since 1995.  I need to export everything.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:28 AM
  • Ok, now I am confused.  First off, I have Money Deluxe 2005 CD no UK version.  When I want to export it gives me the choice of regular accounts without investment accounts or just investment account.  I have been using the 1995 version since 1995.  I need to export everything.

I am also confused.

Because you said you converted to Money 2005, I presumed you were not in the US. You cannot install  a functioning version of Money from a Money 2005 CD.

"File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2" did not exist in Money  for 1995. I think that might have been version 3, and it was very different from what I understand.

If your Money is a US version, I would see if Money Plus Deluxe converts for you. I don't know if it will work or not.  See the link to the installation file in the second thread in this forum. If you continue with it, you will also need the patch from the first thread.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:55 AM
  • I had purchased Money Deluxe 2005 back when, so I do have the original disk and that is what I installed.  I was using 1995 up until June 17th when my last deposit could not be entered and it told me to archive so I did archive, but only from 1995 to 2001.  I thought that would take care of the problem. 

Since it didn't, I got out the Deluxe 2005 CD and installed it then converted my 1995 to it and still no luck adding deposits but everything was there and it works.  The Deluxe 2005 works so maybe I had installed and uninstalled back when I bought it since I never really liked it but it does work. 

I just installed the Money Plus Deluxe on a different computer and it converted my file and it still won't take deposits just like Deluxe 2005 and 1995.  No difference.

?????

I still think that it has something to do that I have reached the max on deposits that are linked to purchasing investments.  When I archived, the deposits that were not linked, all archived, but not the ones that had investment purchases were still there all the way back to 1995.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 11:55 AM
  • I had purchased Money Deluxe 2005 back when, so I do have the original disk and that is what I installed.  I was using 1995 up until June 17th when my last deposit could not be entered and it told me to archive so I did archive, but only from 1995 to 2001.  I thought that would take care of the problem. 

Since it didn't, I got out the Deluxe 2005 CD and installed it then converted my 1995 to it and still no luck adding deposits but everything was there and it works.  The Deluxe 2005 works so maybe I had installed and uninstalled back when I bought it since I never really liked it but it does work. 

I just installed the Money Plus Deluxe on a different computer and it converted my file and it still won't take deposits just like Deluxe 2005 and 1995.  No difference.

?????

I still think that it has something to do that I have reached the max on deposits that are linked to purchasing investments.  When I archived, the deposits that were not linked, all archived, but not the ones that had investment purchases were still there all the way back to 1995.

Here are my understandings, presumptions, and suggested next steps:

You purchased your first Microsoft Money in the US in about 1995. You don't have that original disk, but  that version of Money kept working until 2017.

You don't have a Money backup file that predated the no-deposits problem .

You purchased Money 2005 Deluxe CD, but did not use it until 2017. When you installed it in June of 2017, it converted the existing file. It also deleted the original installation. It would have been possible to have had both versions, but you would have had to been alert during the Money 2005 install and watched for that option.

You archived in Money 2005, and the results on your file were not helpful. The archiving produced another file that has "archive" and a date as part of the filename, such as "2013 Archive.mny". That file is one that I suggest next trying a few things with.

Copy that archive file over to the computer with the Money Plus Deluxe installation. With Windows, rename that file to Hope2.mny. The following is what I think has a chance to work, but if it doesn't there can be more things to try.

Open Hope2.mny with Money Plus.

Do the following:
    File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData
    File->Repair->QuickFileRepair
    File->Repair->StandardFileRepair level 2 on Hope2.mny. Make the output be Hope2a.mny

Open Hope2a.mny
    File->Repair->StandardFileRepair level 2 on Hope2a.mny. Make the output be Hope2b.mny

Open Hope2b.mny
    File->Repair->StandardFileRepair level 1 on Hope2b.mny. Make the output be Hope2a.mny

Open Hope2a.mny
    File->Repair->StandardFileRepair level 2 on Hope2a.mny. Make the output be Hope2b.mny

File->Repair->QuickFileRepair

Now in Hope2b.mny, test to see if you can do a deposit.

If successful, be happy. If not, see if you can work around the problem with putting in a negative expense rather than a deposit. Not so good, but something.

If not successful, check back here. Somebody may have a further idea for you. If you have a somewhat recent backup that pre-dates the June 17 2017 no-deposits problem.

If you want to experiment with the QIF backup-restore, let us know. That does not destroy the existing Money file. You could try both and see which you want to go forward with.

Money Plus by default creates and keeps 4 vintages of backup (with the date-time in the filename) for the upon-exit backup, and it creates 4 vintages of scheduled backup. Consider increasing those numbers if you have disk space. I make my scheduled backups go to a USB flash drive, and I periodically put recent backups into an encrypted file and put that into the cloud.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Hey Cal

1) I do the the original 1995 disks and a 3 1/2 drive to use them.

2) I do have a backup that predates the problem

3) I archived when using the 1995 version

4) I backed up every time I used the 1995 version so I have a ton of backups before and after the problem

Any different advice since this new information?

Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Thank you for all your advice and staying with me on this!
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:45 PM
  • Hey Cal

1) I do the the original 1995 disks and a 3 1/2 drive to use them.

2) I do have a backup that predates the problem

3) I archived when using the 1995 version

4) I backed up every time I used the 1995 version so I have a ton of backups before and after the problem

Any different advice since this new information?

I was under the impression that you archived because of the problem. So any backup that came after the archive would have been after the problem appeared.

So when you archived with 95, that created an archive file, right? So that archive file would probably be a copy of your file before archiving.  I would expect the 95 archive file to not have the same file naming pattern for the archive as later version. It may stick with 8.3 maximum filename sizes.  Since you did not archive until you had the problem, that archive file would probably still have the problem. So it is probably not going to help. But it might be better to work with than the file that the archive process produced.

I would try installing the 1995 and restoring the backup that preceded the problem or the one before that. Save that restored file. Then see if Money Plus can convert that. If not, don't worry. In that event, convert with Money 2005 disk install, save that file immediately, and try to convert that to Money Plus.

I really doubt that Plus or 2005 could directly restore the 1995 backup, but I guess it would not hurt to try. I started with Money 99.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:32 PM
  • Will do - thanks

I'll let you know how it comes out!

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:27 PM
  • Tried all that was stated above to no avail.  I really think I have reached the maximum number of deposits that are associated with payroll checks that purchase investments.  I don't think the file is corrupt and unfortunately these type of 

Will Money convert to Quickbooks or Quicken without losing data and will it have the features of Money.  After 22 years of great data, I really don't want to lose what I have.  Have depended on Money for so many year and it's always done the job, it just makes me sick to think about not having it to help with the finances.

Monday, June 26, 2017 1:27 PM
  • See Archiving Microsoft Money Data Files and note "An archive, however, can be useful in fixing file problems - the recommendation in this case is to archive with a date before the first transaction in your file, so you don't lose data."

I think the error message you see is misleading. I doubt there is any maximum number of deposits.

Monday, June 26, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Tried all that was stated above to no avail.  I really think I have reached the maximum number of deposits that are associated with payroll checks that purchase investments.  I don't think the file is corrupt and unfortunately these type of 

Will Money convert to Quickbooks or Quicken without losing data and will it have the features of Money.  After 22 years of great data, I really don't want to lose what I have.  Have depended on Money for so many year and it's always done the job, it just makes me sick to think about not having it to help with the finances.

Tell us what you found about Money Plus or Money 2005 being able to restore a Money 3 (1995) backup file.

If your second newest 1995 backup file restored but had the problem, what about your 3rd or 4th newest old backup? The paradigm would be that a cosmic ray corrupted your file at some point, and you backed up the corruption a time or two or three  before you noticed the flaw, and then tried a newer version of Money.

Regarding Quicken, it should be able to convert Money Plus files. It relies on the Money Plus installation to do the conversion. As I understand it, Quicken does not have a trial version, but they do have a money-back guarantee. So while it should work, there is a refund if it does not. So that definitely sounds quite worthwhile to try.

Regarding the Money failure, if the only problem is with the paycheck purchases, could you work around that with a transfer/payment to the associated cash account of the investment account, and then entering a separate purchase in the investment account? Or maybe that is the thing that  is not working. But if the only problem is with checks, I still wonder if there is not a workaround.

Monday, June 26, 2017 2:45 PM