to Dan at It Associations RRS feed

• Question

• thank you for the respons i did what u said clickt copy but nothing happens im not sure what im sapost to do,.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:51 PM

Answers

• Domjam,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade only licenses and cannot be used as the original license for the computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you would like a genuine copy or a refund.  In any case, please remove the nongenuine installation of Office from your computer as soon as possible.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer or your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Domjam,

If you are trying to post your Diagnostic Report,

1) Run the Diagnostic program

2) Click the "Copy" button

3) Come back to this thread and click the "Reply" button

4) Click your mouse in the "Message" area

5) Hold down the "Ctrl" key and the "V" key (on your keyboard) at the same time (the Ctrl+V is the keyboard shortcut for Paste)

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

--------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-V74VD-6PPWY-QQBPM
    Windows Product Key Hash: YQC3WzTDMNRYNFVWXFf8+vSTnsY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-9323362-23654
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: b7b699b4-9cd1-4684-a3c2-d2ccc04ce027
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b7b699b4-9cd1-4684-a3c2-d2ccc04ce027</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QQBPM</PKey><PID>55274-642-9323362-23654</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1935655697-838170752-1417001333</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>GBT___</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050517000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7E603C2701842E6C</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57692</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

hope this is right

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Domjam,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade only licenses and cannot be used as the original license for the computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you would like a genuine copy or a refund.  In any case, please remove the nongenuine installation of Office from your computer as soon as possible.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer or your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:28 AM
  • i cant seem to find that sticker thing on the pc.and i dont have an xp cd.i got this pc 2 years ago i dont no nothing about computers i did not relise the pc was sapost to come with a disk.but can u answer me why when i first got the pc and got the net last year.why it upgraded to service pack2?i dont understand why now it ses i fail this validation thing.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:37 AM
  • Domjam,

You'll notice that the computer has a Volume license, which comes from an agreement between an entity (usually a mid size or larger business, or school, or a govt agency) and Microsoft for the use of a special edition of XP Pro that does not need to be activated.  These special editions are very convenient for these larger entities because this type of license allows them to set up one computer, and then clone that setup to a whole bunch of other computers.  If that entity has a whole office building full of computers, you could see how that would be a big time saver.

Unforunately, the bad news about these Volume Licenses is that their convenience for big users also makes them convenient for unscroupulous computer sellers to use instead of the kinds of licenses they should be installing on their computers.

There are different types of these agreements, some of which can expire after a certain time period (in some ways it's like a lease).  So that could explain how it was good enough several months or a year ago to download SP2, but between then and now it's no longer valid.

If the entity that had the Product Key for the Volume License discovered that somehow it was copied and that it "got loose," they could ask MS to cancel the Product Key and give them a new Key to use.  (Kinda like what you would do if you lost your keyring with your house and car keys----you'd get your locks changed or rekeyed.)  That could be another explanation for why it was once a good Product Key but now it's not.

I hope this explanation helps you understand a little better why things have gone sour on your computer.

To Get Genuine, you can participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and choose to purchase a WGA Kit, which is a retail license for XP Pro offered at a substantial discount from typical retail pricing.  In the USA it's a 50% discount from regular retail---you're in GB and I don't know the pricing structure there, but previous posters from GB have reported that the XP Pro WGA kit is sold by MS for £79.

There is also a comparable Genuine Office Offer to address your nongenuine Office installation as well.

Good Luck!

Friday, April 6, 2007 2:09 AM
  • yea i understand iv been backstabd basicly.and there is no way of gettin it back unles i buy a completly new xp packedge(witch i cant afford)however there is somthing i just remembered.i have a laptop that my friend gave to me and it has a coa sticker on it.along with an xp cd.so in this case it is my property now.is it possible to transfer the key from the laptop onto this computer?if i was to unstiall this copy of windows and use the xp cd that was used on that laptop would this be possible?or is it a no go?
    Friday, April 6, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Domjam,

The type of license that came with the laptop is called an OEM License.

Unfortunately, the End User Licensing Agreement for OEM Operating Systems states that the license that came with the laptop is valid only on that particular laptop and it prohibits the use of that OEM license on any other computer.  When the laptop is no longer in service, say from breaking down on just no longer being used, the license dies with the laptop.

Friday, April 6, 2007 2:26 AM