Windows Update (custom manual) requiring WGA? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a one year old Dell (purchased direct from Dell.com), definitely "genuine") for which I have been running manual Windows updates about every two weeks.  Each time, I select custom and uncheck updates I do not want, especially IE 7 and Windows Genuine Advantage.  Until this weekend, I was always able to unselect these, but now the update service keeps attempting to download and install WGA without me having requested it.  It has been Microsoft stated policy that WGA is NOT required for download of Windows security updates for Windows XP.  Has this policy changed?  If not, how do I get my routine security patches without being forced to download and install WGA which just this last weekend suffered a 19 hour outage of the validation servers?
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:06 AM

Answers

• "If you access downloads on the Microsoft Download Center or on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site, you may be prompted to complete the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation check process. On the Download Center Web site, you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control when you select a download that is marked with the WGA icon. On the Windows Update Web site, the ActiveX control is a mandatory update. This update is required to access downloads that are specific to Windows.

On both the Microsoft Download Center and the Windows Update Web site, an ActiveX control that is known as the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool performs a validation check to verify that your copy of Windows is genuine. If your copy of Windows is genuine, you may continue to access the download. If the copy of Windows does not pass the validation check, you receive a message that states why Windows did not pass the check. Additionally, you receive information about other steps to try and about how to obtain a genuine copy of Windows. If you are using the Windows Update Web site, you are returned to that Web site, where you can obtain non-Windows downloads.

Note The Automatic Updates feature is not affected by the WGA validation check. Therefore, you can use the Automatic Updates feature to make sure that you receive critical Windows updates."

Ref:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:33 AM
  • So is this a change in policy, because until last weekend, I did not get the requirement for the activex Windows validation tool?  I prefer not to use automatic updates, because as a general rule, I don't usually allow my computer to take off and do things without my intervention.  So you are saying that I now have to choose between WGA and automatic updates (or a third choice, make my next computer an iMac)?  Whatever happened to the customer being right?  Also, I prefer using Firefox as my browser without allowing ActiveX controls.  What are the steps for Windows Update web site using Firefox?

When I purchased my Dell, I don't remember agreeing to an EULA that required me to use activeX "spyware" to get security updates.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:35 AM
  • There has been no change in policy since the launch of WGA regarding Windows Update. Windows Update only works with Internet Explorer.  WGA is not "spyware".  It is a Microsoft licensing compliance check only.

Information:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramInfo.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=0ddbc348-365b-45d6-9731-0eefb6340883

and

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:44 AM
  • I appologize for attacking you personally.  I know you don't work for Microsoft and it isn't your policy.  Thank you for trying to help.  I guess I'll allow the WGA activeX control and cross my fingers that I don't get a false positive.  I just think that it is a bad policy on Microsoft's part.  I've read so much bad press on the tool (including two pending class action lawsuits claiming WGA "IS" spyware) and have been so afraid to turn it loose on my otherwise stable and well tuned box.  I understand the desire to stop pirating, but golly, I bought the thing direct from Dell and if I can't rust them to give me genuine software, who can I trust?

I have used MS software since the DOS 5 days and Windows 3.1.  The Windows versions keep getting better and more stable, but also more bloated and laden with things I don't want or need.  I think I will make the switch to Mac OSX here in a couple of years when my XP box becomes obsolete.  Windows is just getting to be too much of a headache.  And I hear Vista is even worse.

Again,  thank you for your help and I appologize again for my earlier tone toward you.  At least people like you volunteering to help at least gives a fighting chance to frustrated users like me.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Duckula,

You can use Automatic Updates and still retain full personal control and involvement over what gets installed onto your computer.  Just choose the option to download the updates but let you pick when and what to install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875349/en-us

BTW, a fully updated IE7 is just as secure (or insecure, depending upon your point of view) as a fully updated Firefox 2.

If you really want to have a safe XP computing experience, make sure that the user account you use for normal daily computing tasks (email, web surfing, writing docs, editing pix, etc.) is a Limited User account.  Use a Computer Administrator account ONLY when the specific task at hand requires it, then go back to using the Limited User account.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Great!  I was under the impression that automatic updates where all or nothing.  If it lets me pick what to install, I would be a much happier camper.  I'll give it a try.  Call me old fashioned, but I like to feel I own the computer, not the other way around.

I know IE7 made some great strides including (finally) adding tabbed browsing and an RSS reader.  I have just been using firefox for so long now (since something like ver 0.6 or 0.7) that I have a ton of key mappings memorized and hate to change.  Also, Firefoxes "about:config" functionality lets you tweak the settings and operation of the browser in ways that most programs would even dream of.  Thanks for the info though. 
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:28 PM

All replies

• "If you access downloads on the Microsoft Download Center or on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site, you may be prompted to complete the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) validation check process. On the Download Center Web site, you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control when you select a download that is marked with the WGA icon. On the Windows Update Web site, the ActiveX control is a mandatory update. This update is required to access downloads that are specific to Windows.

On both the Microsoft Download Center and the Windows Update Web site, an ActiveX control that is known as the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool performs a validation check to verify that your copy of Windows is genuine. If your copy of Windows is genuine, you may continue to access the download. If the copy of Windows does not pass the validation check, you receive a message that states why Windows did not pass the check. Additionally, you receive information about other steps to try and about how to obtain a genuine copy of Windows. If you are using the Windows Update Web site, you are returned to that Web site, where you can obtain non-Windows downloads.

Note The Automatic Updates feature is not affected by the WGA validation check. Therefore, you can use the Automatic Updates feature to make sure that you receive critical Windows updates."

Ref:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892130/en-us

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:33 AM
  • So is this a change in policy, because until last weekend, I did not get the requirement for the activex Windows validation tool?  I prefer not to use automatic updates, because as a general rule, I don't usually allow my computer to take off and do things without my intervention.  So you are saying that I now have to choose between WGA and automatic updates (or a third choice, make my next computer an iMac)?  Whatever happened to the customer being right?  Also, I prefer using Firefox as my browser without allowing ActiveX controls.  What are the steps for Windows Update web site using Firefox?

When I purchased my Dell, I don't remember agreeing to an EULA that required me to use activeX "spyware" to get security updates.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:35 AM
  • There has been no change in policy since the launch of WGA regarding Windows Update. Windows Update only works with Internet Explorer.  WGA is not "spyware".  It is a Microsoft licensing compliance check only.

Information:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramInfo.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=0ddbc348-365b-45d6-9731-0eefb6340883

and

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:44 AM
  • I appologize for attacking you personally.  I know you don't work for Microsoft and it isn't your policy.  Thank you for trying to help.  I guess I'll allow the WGA activeX control and cross my fingers that I don't get a false positive.  I just think that it is a bad policy on Microsoft's part.  I've read so much bad press on the tool (including two pending class action lawsuits claiming WGA "IS" spyware) and have been so afraid to turn it loose on my otherwise stable and well tuned box.  I understand the desire to stop pirating, but golly, I bought the thing direct from Dell and if I can't rust them to give me genuine software, who can I trust?

I have used MS software since the DOS 5 days and Windows 3.1.  The Windows versions keep getting better and more stable, but also more bloated and laden with things I don't want or need.  I think I will make the switch to Mac OSX here in a couple of years when my XP box becomes obsolete.  Windows is just getting to be too much of a headache.  And I hear Vista is even worse.

Again,  thank you for your help and I appologize again for my earlier tone toward you.  At least people like you volunteering to help at least gives a fighting chance to frustrated users like me.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Duckula,

You can use Automatic Updates and still retain full personal control and involvement over what gets installed onto your computer.  Just choose the option to download the updates but let you pick when and what to install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875349/en-us

BTW, a fully updated IE7 is just as secure (or insecure, depending upon your point of view) as a fully updated Firefox 2.

If you really want to have a safe XP computing experience, make sure that the user account you use for normal daily computing tasks (email, web surfing, writing docs, editing pix, etc.) is a Limited User account.  Use a Computer Administrator account ONLY when the specific task at hand requires it, then go back to using the Limited User account.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Great!  I was under the impression that automatic updates where all or nothing.  If it lets me pick what to install, I would be a much happier camper.  I'll give it a try.  Call me old fashioned, but I like to feel I own the computer, not the other way around.

I know IE7 made some great strides including (finally) adding tabbed browsing and an RSS reader.  I have just been using firefox for so long now (since something like ver 0.6 or 0.7) that I have a ton of key mappings memorized and hate to change.  Also, Firefoxes "about:config" functionality lets you tweak the settings and operation of the browser in ways that most programs would even dream of.  Thanks for the info though. 
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:28 PM