Deploying OCS in new domain, parallel with LCS2005 in old domain RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

The company I work for is merging with another company. We will be creating a new domain.

We use LCS 2005 EE right now, with extermal IM and telephony integration. The External IM is especially important as it is crucial to do business.

We will soon be changing our domain, and I am not sure where to start with LCS. What would the most straightforward path be for us?

Should I install OCS in the new domain and run them in parallel for a while, slowly transfering users over? Would the new users be able to keep the same SIP ids? Would their contact lists transfer?

Should I modify the current LCS deployment so that it is a member of the new domain? Is that even possible?

It is imerative that there is as short of an outage as possible for this transition.

Any tips or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:24 PM

All replies

• This is a relatively complex line of questioning that requires a number of assumptions and could (and should) branch off into much deeper discussion, but here are my initial answers and clarification questions:

We will soon be changing our domain, and I am not sure where to start with LCS. What would the most straightforward path be for us?

You mention that you are creating a new domain.  Do you mean a new external domain, AD domain, AD forest, or all of the above?  I'll assume that you'll have a new external domain and a new forest, in which case I would recommend that you simply do a fresh installation of OCS which includes support for both your current external domain and new external domain.

Should I install OCS in the new domain and run them in parallel for a while, slowly transfering users over? Would the new users be able to keep the same SIP ids? Would their contact lists transfer?

I assume that "External IM" means Public IM Connectivity (PIC).  If so, then coexistence between forests is out of the question.  Your closest option is to operate the new forest in a resource forest model, assuming that you are able to place a trust between it and your current forest/domain.

Should I modify the current LCS deployment so that it is a member of the new domain? Is that even possible?

No
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:05 PM
  • I'll assume that you'll have a new external domain and a new forest, in which case I would recommend that you simply do a fresh installation of OCS which includes support for both your current external domain and new external domain.

You would be correct. We will be creating a new Forest, with a new domain. I had the feeling that we would need to install a fresh OCS installation. This is actually not a bad thing, though, as it will provide us with a newer supported system that we can take our time implementing, instead of a hurried upgrade.

One thing I'm still not clear on is the actual migration of users from one forest to another. After a while, the old servers will be shut off, and the old domain will go offline. Would it be a simple migration process to get the users over to the new domain? Would it affect their contact lists, and the contact lists of those who have added them?

I assume that "External IM" means Public IM Connectivity (PIC). 

Yes. I did mean PIC.

Right now our users have the format 'name@company.com' as their external contact name.

At the end of this migration, I would hope that they can keep the same 'name@company.com' ID so that this conversion is invisible to their trading partners. (those people that communicate with them via IM)

I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear with my questions. I'm still trying to get a grasp on what is required for this project.

Thank you for your help Mike.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:02 PM
  •  Alan D Weber wrote:

One thing I'm still not clear on is the actual migration of users from one forest to another. After a while, the old servers will be shut off, and the old domain will go offline. Would it be a simple migration process to get the users over to the new domain? Would it affect their contact lists, and the contact lists of those who have added them?

Alan,

In order to migrate users between forests (inter-org) you will need to use either the native Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) or a third-party application like Quest Migration Manager (QMM).  This is by means a 'simple' process and requires good planning, but depending on your environment's complexity can be executed in a short number of steps.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Did you figure this out? I have to do something exactly like this...

Monday, October 20, 2008 5:34 PM
  • Since this is a new Active Directory forest, one way to start migrating users to OCS without moving the user accounts yet would be to create contact objects for each of the LCS users in the OCS forest and OCS enable them.  This requires a trust between the two forests and a product like ILM or IIFP to keep the user object attributes synced with the contact objects.  As users are migrated to the OCS forest, the contact object would be deleted in the OCS forest.  The other option is to use a federation between LCS and OCS but that scenario would not allow for migrated users to keep thier existing SIP URI domain.

IIFP Download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d9143610-c04d-41c4-b7ea-6f56819769d5&DisplayLang=en

Multi-forest OCS guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1D7CF1E6-6770-422F-B744-E1764F5666AE&displaylang=en
    Monday, October 20, 2008 9:54 PM