WHS > Vista/XP Media Centre > XBox 360 RRS feed

• Question

• Whilst many of the features of WHS so far have been very useful (backup, shadow volumes etc), for me the main focus of the house is delivering content (TV, Video, Movies, Pictures, Music, etc) to the living room. So WHS is great in that it will provide a central repository to pull it all from. We already have a setup where one PC (Vista & Media Centre) stores the content and delivers it.

The purpose of the thread is to ask a few questions I have and perhaps the basis of a general thread on this scenario is this... what benefits (apart from backup etc) will WHS really have for such a situation?

• Right now I have the aforementied PC serving both the Media Centre and the Server roles. Why should I add an extra PC (thus using twice the electricity) for simple storage when Vista does it just fine?
    • Network traffic is going to be a problem? For instance I want to stream an HD video to the Xbox360... thats a lot of bandwidth even in the current setup of simple Vista > Xbox360. Now if that video is on a WHS server, I am doubling the bandwidth as it heads from WHS > Vista > Xbox360. Now imagine someone wants to watch that video late at night when a couple of backups are also running? This is all assuming there is noone else doing anything remotely intensive on the network such as a large file copy, a restore of a PC or numerous other things.
    • An almost related issue is also then to consider should that video be in DivX or xVid format. MS's refusal to support such formats (which are no longer the domain of the pirates as even the largest media companies are using them) for streaming to the Xbox 360 is frankly ridiculous. Thus us users are forced to use transcoding solutions which re-encode the formats in real-time to a supported format. This is going to be very difficult when it has to be sent across a network after the introduction of WHS.

So you can see three immediate reasons why I as a consumer and I as a recommender of technologies to home users would find it difficult to recommend WHS as a solution to their storage problems as things stand. Much easier to put everything on one Vista box (where I can enable all kinds of backup and shadowing solutions anyway) and save a whole load of issues.

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:44 AM

Answers

• I feel this is a feature request and not a "how to" question.  I am moving this to the suggestion thread.

There is a media center thread open if you would like to add your thoughts.

The suggestions thread will help us build version 1 and 2 of Windows Home Server.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Can't believe I missed that one! Moved the OP to there and will mark this as answered
    Monday, February 19, 2007 10:12 PM

All replies

• I don't think the WHS is supposed to be used by households that are using a single computer. The benefits really comes in when you have more than one client. Although it may be sweet for the non-tech user to setup a WHS for backup and easy storage.

A question, why do you need to have your XBox connected to your vista client? Couldn't it be setup to connect to the WHS instead to free up your vista client to be just a client?

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:17 AM
  • This is a household with 4 or 5 computers. The example above is stating simply that one of the Vista boxes (with media centre) is performing the 'WHS' role at the moment as well as also being the Media Centre.

To answer your question, XBox360 is connected to the Vista Media Centre in order to provide a media centre interface on the TV. Then through the 360 you can browse the libraries, watch and record Digital TV PVR-style, use online services such as Napster and much much more. Simply connecting it to the WHS would remove the whole TV / DVR functionality of the Xbox360, and reduce it to a dumb browser of files in an unorganised way (eg no thumbnails or slideshows of pictures).

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:23 AM
  • I see, thanks for making it clear.

This is becomming a xbox thread, sorry about that but i got another question. Is xbox only compatible with media center or can your run other alternatives?

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:31 AM
  • No problem.

And yes it is a Xbox 360 focused thread but also I guess for most extended media functions
    Monday, February 19, 2007 3:35 PM
  • I feel this is a feature request and not a "how to" question.  I am moving this to the suggestion thread.

There is a media center thread open if you would like to add your thoughts.

The suggestions thread will help us build version 1 and 2 of Windows Home Server.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Can't believe I missed that one! Moved the OP to there and will mark this as answered
    Monday, February 19, 2007 10:12 PM
  • When streaming a video from a file share visible through the Vista Media Centre extender on the 360 the traffic will actually be going directly fromt he WHS to the 360 itself (I believe). That is if you are playing a format that is supported on the 360 such as WMV or MPEG2.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:57 AM