none
Exam retake policy RRS feed

• Question

• If I didn't pass in a Microsft exam, like 070-450, how long time I need to wait for re-take the exam?
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Jayalaxmi,

The first time you fail a Microsoft MCP exam, like 70-450, you must wait at least 24 hours before you can take the same exam again. For your convenience, here are the Microsoft exam retake policies.

General Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) Exam Retake Policy

• If a candidate does not achieve a passing score on an exam the first time, the candidate must wait at least a 24-hour period before retaking the exam.

• If a candidate does not achieve a passing score the second time, the candidate must wait at least a 14-day period before retaking the exam a third time.

• A 14-day waiting period will also be imposed for the fourth and fifth subsequent exam retakes. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than five times per year (12 months). This 12-month period would start the day of the fifth unsuccessful exam retake. The candidate would then be eligible to retake the exam 12 months from that date. In order to take a given exam more than five times per year, a candidate must submit a request and obtain prior permission from Microsoft.

• If a candidate achieves a passing score on an exam, the candidate cannot take it again.

• Proposed as answer by Arjen Krap Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:35 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Jayalaxmi,

The first time you fail a Microsoft MCP exam, like 70-450, you must wait at least 24 hours before you can take the same exam again. For your convenience, here are the Microsoft exam retake policies.

General Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) Exam Retake Policy

• If a candidate does not achieve a passing score on an exam the first time, the candidate must wait at least a 24-hour period before retaking the exam.

• If a candidate does not achieve a passing score the second time, the candidate must wait at least a 14-day period before retaking the exam a third time.

• A 14-day waiting period will also be imposed for the fourth and fifth subsequent exam retakes. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than five times per year (12 months). This 12-month period would start the day of the fifth unsuccessful exam retake. The candidate would then be eligible to retake the exam 12 months from that date. In order to take a given exam more than five times per year, a candidate must submit a request and obtain prior permission from Microsoft.

• If a candidate achieves a passing score on an exam, the candidate cannot take it again.

• Proposed as answer by Arjen Krap Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:35 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Thank you for posting the policy. For some stupid reason, the linked "Microsoft exam retake policies" doesn't actually state the policy. It only has this ridiculous non-answer.

Q.What is the exam retake policy?
    A.

Our exam retake policy helps to ensure that candidates take the necessary time to prepare for their exam, and it is designed to prevent unauthorized use and piracy of exam content.

This is the kind of bogus FAQ that makes me want to scream at Microsoft.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi Jon,

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

James

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:56 PM
  • It's a shame the Microsoft website doesn't provide very much information on this topic.  Here's what the Prometric site states:

https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Microsoft/Pages/clientinformation.aspx

Microsoft Exam Retake Policy
      • If a candidate does not achieve a passing score on an exam the first time,
        the candidate must wait at least a 24-hour period before retaking the exam.
      • If a candidate does not achieve a passing score the second time, the
        candidate must wait at least a 14-day period before retaking the exam a third
        time.
      • A 14-day waiting period will also be imposed for the fourth and fifth
        subsequent exam retakes. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than
        five times per year (12 months). This 12-month period would start the day of the
        fifth unsuccessful exam retake. The candidate would then be eligible to retake
        the exam 12 months from that date. In order to take a given exam more than five
        times per year, a candidate must submit a request and obtain prior permission
        from Microsoft.
      • If a candidate achieves a passing score on an exam, the candidate cannot
        take it again.
      • Beta exams may be taken only once. This policy supersedes the general retake
        policy.
      • In some cases, Microsoft may have special policies for specific exams.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:15 PM
  • I am currently doing the MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise. I just sit to the 70-680 but failed. Will my exams expire if i don't sit to them before the end of January 2014.??
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Hi, Alieun.

Since you are trying for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008, you will need to have all five (5) required exams passed by January 31, 2014.

Assuming you have already passed the 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647, you will need to pass 70-680 before the MCITP deadline to earn this title before it retires.

NOTE: Exam 70-680 is not scheduled for retirement. If you pass it after January 31st, you will not earn the MCITP title. However, it still counts as one of the two (2) required exams for MCSA: Windows 7 shown here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-7-certification.aspx

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:28 PM
    Answerer