Product Key: Invalid RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a HP laptop in which Vista Home Premium was pre-installed. And now when i want to use my Microsoft office programs on this laptop, it insists that the key fixed upon the computer is invalid. No matter how many times i try the number is there any chance as that as this is a display model that someone could have written the affixed key down and used it on their own computer?

Thank you in advance
    Michael.
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 6:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Randson,

I'm not sure that I understand your issue. 

Are you trying to install Office using the the key found on the sticker on the laptop? If so, please note the key found on the sticker on the laptop is only for Vista, not Office.

1) If Office came pre-installed on your laptop, then it is most likely a trial version.

1a) If it is a Trial Version and the trial period has ended, then it would prompt for a product key. In the window that is promting for a Key, there should be a link to buy a key online or you can buy a retail version of office from any

reputable retailer.

1b) If the Office is a Full Version (not common) and is prompting for a key, the key should be found with the documentation that cam with the laptop, but normally, you should only need to Activate the software.

2) If Office did not come pre-installed on your laptop (i.e. bought separately), then the Key used to install Office should be located in the documentation that came with the Office CDs.

3) If I misunderstood your issue and it is Vista that is having the error, please re-explain the issue in more detail

In any case, if none of the above options help, please run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into your post.

Hope this helps,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

Thursday, September 6, 2007 8:00 PM
  • It has Vista Home Premium pre-installed but the key with which it is installed is a factory key and when I tried to use the Office programs (i.e. Word, Excel Powerpoint....) it asks me for my own Product Key and everytime i try it refuses to accept the key is valid.

This is my theory as to why it may not recognize the Key to be valid. As this computer is a display model it would have had the key on the bottom of the computer in the store, would it be possible for someone to walk in lift it up and write down the key, walk out of the store adn use said Key on their own personal machine?

is there anything in particular you don't understand about my case?

Michael
    Friday, September 7, 2007 4:21 AM
  • The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows Vista (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office.  Please review the following:

How to determine whether you have a trial edition of a 2007 Office suite or program installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927920/en-us

How to convert a trial version of a 2007 Office suite or program to a full retail perpetual license version: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927756/en-us

Friday, September 7, 2007 4:31 AM
  • I bought my acer laptop from PC world 3 weeks ago. To activate windows I write my product key, but computer responds me as it is invalid.But I am sure it`s not. what can I do?
    Friday, October 12, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Hi Darin,

Hope you are able to help on this matter.

I recently obtained an HP laptop with Vista Business already installed, through an insurance claim.

On attempting to open Word or excel it propmts for a product key. I enter the product key attached to the base of the laptop, however it always replies as being invalid.

What could be the problem?

Regards

Danny

Sunday, October 21, 2007 12:09 PM
  • I have an Acer laptop that is doig the exact same thing.  I can't figure out what the problem is.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:46 PM
  • People, you must not have read the answer to the question. MIcrosoft Office, A.K.A Word, PowerPoint, Excel, DOES NOT COME FREE WITH YOUR COMPUTER. The key on th bottom of your laptop/laptop box is for Microsoft Vista..... your operating system. THIS IS WHAT COMES FREE WITH YOUR COMPUTER. It enables your computer to function. More than likely you will never actually have to use that number for anything because it was Pre-installed. If you put that number into a  Microsoft Office registration prompt, it will not work. It isn't the same thing.....
    Again recap.....

Microsoft Vista=Operating System=number on the bottom of laptop
    Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) =NOT FREEWARE=Go to the store and buy it=$300
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:38 AM
  • ok so i have an hp compaq laptop that came with windows vista premium home on it anyway i had to type in a code for it that was on a sticker that was on the bottem of my laptop and was labelled windows vista home premium so i typed it in but it didnt work, any i didnt mind it was working fine, now i cant do anything my screen is black and all i can do is type in my code, call someone( who will be arabic and difficult to listen to) or go online. plz help

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:14 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem. I can't find out what is wrong and I can't use my computer at all. the same message box comes that tells me to talk to someonne, go online, or enter a new product key. Also when I close this box my computer turns off and restarts at which time the same message appears. Any  help at all would be great.
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 4:32 PM
  • I am having a similar problem. I bought a Lenovo 3000 C200 on June 14 with Windows Vista pre-installed however two days ago I encountered problems. I had just turned on my laptop and had logged in when an error message came up, this message says that my Windows Vista Home Premium product key was invalid. It then gives me the option to either buy a product key online, to type a different producty key or to contact Lenovo with the problem. I have tried a system restore but it didn't work. If anyone has any solutions please let me know.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 10:09 AM
  •  

I am having the same problem. I can't find out what is wrong and I can't use my computer at all. the same message box comes that tells me to talk to someonne, go online, or enter a new product key. Also when I close this box my computer turns off and restarts at which time the same message appears. Any  help at all would be great.
    Author:       chioke
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 1:04 PM
  •  

i am having the same problem, the product key that my laptop has is invalid..and i cant do no printouts!!!!..please help and send me a new one or what should i do???..i need it asap for my school work!!..i barely bought my laptop in september, its an HP....thanks..email is shinydiamond08@hotmail.com
    Monday, November 12, 2007 10:05 PM
  • Hi please help activate my Microsoft Office 2007 Suite

Friday, November 16, 2007 3:25 AM
  •  

I have a similar but different issue. I have recently purchased a Toshiba laptop and it came with a preinstalled Vista Home Premium already activated. I didn't have to activate it, but the Key as reported in Control panel/System is not the same as the one given on the back of the computer.The computer works flawlessly. I don't know what it means. Do I have to reactivate with the Key given on the back of the computer ?  Why is the computer delivered with activated Vista in the first place? Any thoughts ? Thanks
    Friday, November 23, 2007 3:39 AM
  • yeah im definitely having the same problem..should i down grade? cause i enter the right product key
    # for windows vista and now its telling me i got to buy another product key...like is there anyway else i can fix this without spending another $300

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:58 PM
  • Did anyone ever find the solution to this problem? In the past i have had to call the toll free number for a code to get my computer to work properly. I also have windows vista. Maybe its an issue with the operating system. As soon as tried to update my computer due to issues i was having it is now once again telling me my code is invalid. My computer was also the last one at the store and was a display model. UGH!!!!!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:27 PM
  • Locking Thread

If you have a WGA issue, please create your Own thread for your Own issue.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:25 PM