Deactivating server roles to use SE OCS server as Director RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have two EE OCS pools . I have installed SE OCS server to make use of it as director for internal authentication. Both EE OCS pools and SE OCS server uses same RTCService account(unfortunately). If I deactivate A/V conference server and Web Conference server on SE OCS server to prepare it for director role,  does it delete RTCService account.

My concern is not to disturb EE OCS pools as there are live users on it.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

REDDSAN

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:05 PM

All replies

• No it doesn't delete the service account.  And it is not unfortunate that you are using the same account on all servers.  In fact you should use the same service account.  I wouldn't deactivate the Web and A/V portion of this server.  A director is defined as a pool with no users on it that acts as a logon point and a router to the edge server.  Having the web and A/V on the server is a great resrouce for troubleshooting.  If you having problems with Web and A/V on your EE pool, you can easily move the user to the director and see if they still have the same problem.  MS does this all the time to troubleshoot load balancer and other problems.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Thanks Mark for your quick reply.OCS_EdgeServerDeploy.doc from MS was asking us to deactivate A/V conferencing , Web conferencing roles and disable Address Book on SE OCS server for director role(for security reasons). So I wanted to deactivate these roles. But it is working fine as director for internal authentication without desctivating.

I would like to have array of SE OCS servers with Load balancer to authenticate users and forward connection to EE OCS pools . I would like to publish SRV record for director Load balancer. I have 3 EE OCS pools globally. So directors authenticate both internal and external users. Please advise if you have more suggestions on this architecture.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:48 PM