compaq presario CQ60 install issue PP3 RRS feed

• Question

• same install issue as PROBLEMS INSTALLING WHS on july 10, Bought new computer (comaq presario CQ60-615DX notebook w/ intell celeron processor 2.2 mhz w/ 2GB RAM, 64 bit OS). It came with Windows 7 Home Premium.

I purchased an OEM version of WHS w/power pack 3 and installed disk in and installed it. It went through the file loading steps, formatting steps and then went to the "installing windows" phase. It starts off with "Windows Setup" displayed in the left upper aspect of the monitor then states loading drivers, ... press F2 for ASR, ... loading files, ... starting Windows then i a few msecs it gives me a blue screen stating" a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  Check fo viruses; remove any newly installed hardrives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restarart your computer.

Tech. info: *** stop: 0 x 0000007b (0xF89EA94, 0XC000000034,  0X00000000, 0x000000000)"

Again it seems to go through all the steps and then when it is rebooting to open the WHS operating system it does this. I also took out the installation DVD and let it boot and again this is what happens. I have only that screen available other than utilizing F10, the F8 key doesn't get us into another operating safe mode. I did chat with reps for compaq where they had us do diagnostic checks on the memory and hard disk- which both passed- and they are sending recovery disks.....

so the question is how or what can I do to move this to a place where I can further the install process  

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• First, installing Windows Home Server on a notebook isn't supported. Notebooks are universally "thermally challenged", and Windows Home Server is built on a server OS, which will stress a notebook more than a desktop OS. In addition, extending storage in a notebook involves either replacing the existing hard drive or connecting additional external drives. Replacing the existing drive requires reinstalling the OS, and external drives aren't recommended for use in server storage (though they're fine as backup devices).

That said, the STOP code indicates a problem with storage controller drivers. Are you supplying drivers at all, for Windows Home Server to detect the drive in that notebook? If so, those drivers will need to be supplied a second time, at the "Press F6" prompt just after the reboot into text mode. For the "Press F6" driver load step, drivers must be supplied on a floppy disk (a USB flash drive will not usually work).

An alternative to working through the driver issue (given that your notebook likely doesn't have a floppy drive) is to try the "X:\Files edition" of Windows Home Server. This is a downloadable equivalent to the installation media you have now, with additional drivers injected into the image. It may be that drivers for your hardware are part of the image. Note that this "edition" is not supplied by, or supported by, Microsoft; it's a private effort of an individual user of Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:18 PM