Upgrade from single-core to dual-core without re-installing? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried searching with various keywords and having no success at all.

I'm currently running a WHS with a Celeron 325 2.53GHz CPU and 5 HDs (totaling 1.44TB) with duplication on about 200gb of data (user folders only). Now, every time I log into the server, be it thru the Console, or through remote desktop, the server is very laggy. I've eliminated my network, so that leaves the server itself. I installed a monitoring add-in and it showed my server's CPU usage to always be 100%. So, I've decided to upgrade to a dual-core CPU, (considering a low-end Pentium D due to cost) and I was wondering if I'd have to re-install WHS.

I've done this before on Windows XP with an AMD cpu (went from a 3200 A64 to an X2 4400+) and didn't have to reinstall - XP picked up the dual core, installed the CPU driver and changed it's HAL to multiprocessor automatically. Has anybody done this on WHS?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• I haven't upgraded yet, I'm just trying to see if anybody else has, so that I'd know about problems I'd run into if I upgraded.

I haven't tried it, but my guess is you would need to replace the HAL.  However, WHS has a special install mode called Server Reinstallation.  If you do end up needing to reinstall, it allows you to reinstall the OS, but keep your data in tact.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by raduque Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• Did you try to use the device manager and search for new devices?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:55 PM
  • I haven't upgraded yet, I'm just trying to see if anybody else has, so that I'd know about problems I'd run into if I upgraded.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:02 AM

I haven't tried it, but my guess is you would need to replace the HAL.  However, WHS has a special install mode called Server Reinstallation.  If you do end up needing to reinstall, it allows you to reinstall the OS, but keep your data in tact.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by raduque Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:05 AM
  • When I get the chip I'll update the forum. But, seeing as WHS is based on Server 2003, which shares the base kernel with XP (am i right on this?) and XP automatically changed itself to support the X2, I don't anticipate many/any problems.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:22 PM
  • WHS does share with XP. However, I think that the HAL is installed on setup. To switch between single core and multicore HAL, I believe a reinstall is required
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:57 PM
  • WHS does share with XP. However, I think that the HAL is installed on setup. To switch between single core and multicore HAL, I believe a reinstall is required

I am not sure about this. A long while ago I used Windows Server 2003 as my desktop OS. If I remember correctly I swapped a single core CPU vs. a Dual Core CPU in that time without reinstalling. As long as the board and the Bios settings remain the same I would see a fair chance that this works.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 15, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Bit of an old thread, but as I did say I'd update when I got the CPU, I'm bringing it back up.

I purchased a Pentium 4 640 3.2ghz w/HT and installed it yesterday. When the server booted up (I ran the server in unsupported local login mode), it installed some drivers and prompted a reboot. When I rebooted, the system loaded up flawlessly and recognized the P4's Hyperthreading as "Two Cores" in the Console. NO reinstalling was needed!  

My server is so much more responsive, it's not funny, and it feels like my server closet is even a little cooler than it was when the server had a Celeron running at full bore.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back. So the facts I did remember were still correct ;-)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:11 AM