need help on managed and unmanaged solutions RRS feed

• Question

• hi.

I am trying to imoprt one unmanaged solution and on top of it planning to import managed solution. Both solutions contains some common entities. How the changes will reflect in application as final. Is there any way to identify this?

How the ribbons, forms, views, labels, entity schema's will be affected?

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:03 AM

All replies

• As far as I know, when a solution is imported into CRM, it will overwrite anything on the system with what's in that solution whether it's managed or unmanaged. So if you import an unmanaged solution which contains, let's say, entity A, a web resource for entity A and a process for entity A - these will be written to the default solution.

If you then import a managed solution containing entity A, the same web resource as above and also 2 different processes for entity A, these will then be imported into CRM but not replace the default solution. So if you were accessing entity A, you'd see the form, attributes, etc from the managed solution, the web resource from the managed solution and 3 processes; 2 from the managed solution and 1 from the unmanaged solution.

Delete the managed solution and it will revert to the default solution where it would start to use entity A, etc from the unmanaged solution.

Nevertheless, it's always a good idea to take a back up of the components before you start in case you need to revert back.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Thanks for the reply....

How the labels of the entity sections and forms will effect.

Ex: in my case I have noticed that the form labels were not changed with the recent managed solution. It is still showing the old one.

Is there any article/guidelines to from Microsoft/any to identify each changes?

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:27 AM
  • I'm surprised that that's happening. Importing any solution should replace anything on the system with what's included - it's just that you can roll back with a managed solution. Has the solution successfully imported? Although I don't think it needs it after a managed solution import, but have you published the customizations?

From what I've read, as soon as you start using managed solutions on an entity, it's good practice to make sure that all solutions that alter that entity are then managed.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:11 PM