Invoke sync on mobile client from desktop app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

what is the usual way to invoke the sync process? If I understand the request-response pattern from the ODataSync Protocol right, the client must invoke the sync process.

I actually would like to start the sync process between a mobile client (Windows Mobile 6.x or Android) and a desktop application (.Net 3.5) out from my desktop app.

Is this possible? The device is either connected via USB or WLAN.

cheers

Andreas

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:50 PM

Answers

• I am sorry but I don't have enough knowledge about the best way for communication between a device connected to a PC. Someone on the Windows Mobile forums should be able to help you, since all this will happen in your app, outside of the Sync Framework anyway.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Nina H Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:15 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi - are you trying to sync the mobile client with the desktop or with a hosted service?

With the preview release, where the hosted service implements the asymmetric protocol, the client must initiate the sync. You can certainly have a desktop application start it on behalf of the client on the device, but you will have to do it outside of our components.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

yes you are right, I am trying to use a hosted service.

How about the following approach:

(1) The client application must somehow tell the desktop application that it is connected and ready to sync.

(2) The client has then to listen until a request "please sync now" from the desktop application comes in

(3) The client invokes then the typical way of syncing files with the SyncFX components.

Do you think this could work? I am not sure how to implement (2) on Windows Mobile 6.x, can you give me some hints for that?

thanks for your help, cheers

Andreas

Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:30 AM
  • I am sorry but I don't have enough knowledge about the best way for communication between a device connected to a PC. Someone on the Windows Mobile forums should be able to help you, since all this will happen in your app, outside of the Sync Framework anyway.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Nina H Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:15 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 9:42 PM