Network Health at Risk Warning......File Conflicts. RRS feed

• Question

• I have just about given up on this one...!!!  For the past several months I constantly get a warning that "There are file conflicts" - this issue is related to 5 songs in my "Shared Music" folder.  I have checked each one and they all play fine from Windows Media Player - so there doesn't appear to be a problem with any corruption of the files.  I have followed all the insturctions provided by the "Resolve file Conflicts - Help" and spent several hours yesterday (18 Oct 09) running and re-running CHKDSK trying to eliminate this annoying problem, but - it is still there and it tells me that there is an issue everytime I sign on or anytime anyone signs on to any and all of the systems connected to my Home Server - I have followed all the corrective steps posted without a resolution - to include activating/deactivating File Duplication.

After I spent yestereday - determined to eliminate this annoying problem - I discovered that running CHKDSK on a RAID 5 system could be fatal - I seem to have survived potential disaster, but now I have another question - is there a special way to run something like CHKDSK on a RAID 5 system that may correct my "file conflicts" without destroying my RAID drives?  My RAID configuration has been running for nearly two years now without a hitch until these conflicting music files came along. 

While running CHKDSK yesterday - the system clearly identified "5 unindexed" files (which could be/probably are the 5 "conflicting" music files) but CHKDSK was unable to deal with them - the RAID 5 configuration could be the problem, but since WHS doesn't really support RAID there are no hints on what to do.  If anyone has a clue, I could really use it - the little warning is even beginning to annoy my wife.....and we all know what happens when the "little woman" takes notice and starts asking; "why does this thing always tell my I have conflicts?".

I could really appreciate some help.....

Thanks in advance;

LJ 
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:01 PM

Answers

• I finally had time to sit down and work this issue - I am very glad you sent your comment about checking for "defective" copies of the offending files.  After spending on whole weekend running CHKDSK and "Synchonizing" my RAID drives, I simply opend the Shared Music Folder and right there were 5 ".tmp" copies of the conflicting files - I simply deleted them and the warning has gone away.

Thanks, the waring is gone and the system is back to normal - not sure what created the ".tmp" files in the first place but now that they are gone it works.

LJ
    • Marked as answer by ButteM Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ButteM Monday, November 2, 2009 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by ButteM Monday, November 2, 2009 3:24 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• Have you tried copying the files from WHS back to one of your PC's? Once you have a known good copy on the PC, delete the suspected offender(s) from your WHS and see if the file conflict message goes away. If after a day you do not have any file conflict message, copy the files back to the server and see what happens.

And, by the way, RAID is not supported in WHS, which I'm sure you've heard many times in the past.

Cruise
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Thanks - I wil give that a try, at this point everything is worth an effort. 

You are correct, WHS doesn't support RAID, but Server 2003 (upon which it is based) does support RAID and the RAID controller card does most of the work anyway.  I did discover that running CHKDSK on a RAID set is risky, but there is a "syncronization" utility with the controller card that is supposed to do the same sort of thing on RAID that CHKDSK does for a single drive.  I ran that - took most of the night - but it didn't "fix" the conflicting files issue.

Lack of RAID support is my one big issue with WHS, I haven't had the system fail but the fact that the drive that contains the OS isn't protected - simply seems to defeat the purpose of having a server....!

LJ
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I finally had time to sit down and work this issue - I am very glad you sent your comment about checking for "defective" copies of the offending files.  After spending on whole weekend running CHKDSK and "Synchonizing" my RAID drives, I simply opend the Shared Music Folder and right there were 5 ".tmp" copies of the conflicting files - I simply deleted them and the warning has gone away.

Thanks, the waring is gone and the system is back to normal - not sure what created the ".tmp" files in the first place but now that they are gone it works.

LJ
    • Marked as answer by ButteM Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ButteM Monday, November 2, 2009 3:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by ButteM Monday, November 2, 2009 3:24 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 1:18 PM