Best practice to store files outside the shared folders RRS feed

• General discussion

• A shorth question.

What is the best way to store files which I do not want under SYS and not in the shares? I've temporarily installed a separate hdd outside the pool and installed other software on that drive such as Ventrilo server and will also get µT installed soon to handle the RSS downloads (btw, does peerblock work on whs?)

Anyway, is it safe to install the software to a separate folder on D outside the shares and add this drive to the pool instead or will I risk screwing up the DE?

Regards,

Stefan, Sweden

• Changed type Bjurran Friday, September 3, 2010 7:10 PM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 7:34 AM

All replies

• Anything on any drive your server manages (including D:) which is outside of the areas the server manages (D:\DE, D:\Folders, D:\Shares, C:\FS\<drive id>\DE) will appear as part of the System wedge of the pie chart. Unmanaged disks are, as far as Windows Home Server is concerned, invisible except as disks available to add to server storage, so you can put data on one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Thanks Ken,
    so, if I understand this correctly, if I create a folder outside the folders you mention it will be safe to use these as normal app folders on a regular server? (yes, I do know that most software will perform pretty bad on a whs, but let's skip that part for now)

Say, if I create "D:\installed apps\", I would be able to install the apps in that folder and not mess up the shares? What I'm trying to do is to keep the C: as clean as possible, but as I'm not planning on installing that much on the server, it sort of feels like a waste to have a separate unmanaged drive spinning 24/7 just to run a few apps. (I currently have a 120 GB drive with 500 MB apps)

The fact that it will show up as System on the pie chart is ok, as this is meant to be apps running on the server and sort of part of the system. I guess I'll have to live with the fact that the apps are not duplicated, but I'll place a backup of the config files somewhere else to easily reinstall if needed.

Friday, September 3, 2010 1:36 PM
  • You won't mess up the shares or the server, in theory. Realize, however, that it's technically "unsupported" to use your server this way; Microsoft's design intends that end users will interact only through the server's console, not via the server desktop. So if you propose to install something on your server, make sure you test it thoroughly before you install on production hardware so you can shake out any issues.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Thanks!

What I'm planning on running is mainly ventrilo (having lots of friends plaing here every now and then it's a good idea to have this on my own LAN), µTorrent (instead of having a client computer downloading the files to the server) and some shoutcast services (perhaps icecast, haven't decided yet) to distribute the radio locally in the LAN instead of having everyone pulling feeds of the WAN.

The reason I asked was because I (as many of us) did break the DE once by copying files locally on the server without using the shares. I reckoned it would be a good idea to ask what I'm (in theory)should be able to do.

/Stefan

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:10 PM