Suggestion : SIP (VOIP) Calling Feature for Lumia 920 & Market Place Applications Unavailability

General discussion

• Dear Microsoft Team,

I would like to draw your attention towards the concern that Microsoft Windows 8 OS for Mobile Phones lacks the VOIP calling feature in the OS which is very very essential for making the buying decision for any person who is living outside his home country. As SIP calls are cheaper as compared to the regular international calls, hence it extremely effects the sale of the handsets. As far as I know, Lumia 920 lacks this feature and is causing people not to buy the phone. This will be case with all the phones running Windows 8.  I am Indian but I live in Kuwait where the number of outsiders in the country is 2 Million & these expats extensively make use of the VOIP calls for making cheap calls to their home country using their preferred VOIP providers. 99% of the people not buying Windows phones is because of the non-availability of this feature. Similarly, people from other countries also might not be buying Windows Phone due to this reason and this will result in failure in the sales of Windows Phone. I know that through SKype the cheap calls can be made but people want to use their own SIP providers owing to the fact that these providers are much much cheaper than Skype.

The second issue is the "Unavailability" of the major applications like Whatsapp, Nimbuzz (with calling feature), Gtalk, Nymgo, Viber, Fring etc. in the Windows Market Place. These applications are general use applications that people are using daily for their general use and are used to it . Unavailability of these applications discourages people to buy Windows Phone as well. 

If Microsoft Team works on the above two aspects then I am sure the Windows Phone will hold a major place in the market.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:43 AM

All replies

• I absolutely agree with Fahad - we urgently need a SIP VoiP app that is usable for all kind of numbers!!! I've purchased a Lumia 920 and afterwards recognized that there is no such app available :( I have a Netvoip number from Netstream for my company and can't use it now... when will such an app be developped?

BR Stella

Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:54 PM
  •  u both are right (stella and fahad)..I also bought a windows phone Lumia 820.In that I tried to add VoIP account  in nimbuzz app  and failed.But the other solution is an application mobile VoIP in that u can add VoIP providers. We can download it from store ..Try it.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 4:22 AM