WHS - Remote Control of of Vista x32 and x64 Machines RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed WHS (evaluation copy) and Service/Power Packs 1 & 2 on a machine with an Asus M4N78 PRO board and AMD Quad CPU.  I have also installed the lastest version of the connection software on each PC. Also I set the remote access to "allow" on each machine.

WHS reports upon log-on from the outside that the Vista machines "... operating system does not support remote access".

I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions on how to remedy the situation.

JR Dees
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:36 PM

Answers

• Well it appears that the "Fine Print" has snagged me again.  Vista Home Premium x32 or x64 does NOT support the same protocols used by WHS and one must upgrade to the "Ultimate" or business versions to do so and connect for remote control of your PCs!      
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:52 PM

All replies

• Well it appears that the "Fine Print" has snagged me again.  Vista Home Premium x32 or x64 does NOT support the same protocols used by WHS and one must upgrade to the "Ultimate" or business versions to do so and connect for remote control of your PCs!      
    • Marked as answer by JRDEEZ Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:52 PM
  • FYI this has nothing to do with WHS it's "Protocols"

This is one of the differences between the versions of Windows Vista. All versions of vista (although I'm not sure about Basic, but I believe so) support remote desktop connections to OTHER machines. You need to have Business or Ultimate in order to connect to the machine via remote desktop. This is just part of the differences between the versions of vista.

Edit: Typo (WHS/Vista mixed)
    • Edited by elbweb Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:24 AM
  • FYI this has nothing to do with WHS it's "Protocols"
    This is one of the differences between the versions of WHS. .

Not WHS (which "versions" did you refer too btw., may I assume a typo), but Vista/XP/Win7 version functionality decides, if you can get a remote desktop connection or not. If it is not supported by the OS, WHS also does not support this. So all versions with Home in the name are not reachable via Remote Desktop.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Yup, as Olaf said, I switched WHS/Vista in my post, but the idea stays the same. Thanks :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:05 PM