Certain machines unable to synchronize with the corporate address book RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - we are running Office Communicator 2007 and are having a problem with a few of our clients getting the following error:

"Cannot synchronize with the corporate address book. This may be because the proxy server setting in your web browser does not allow access to the address book. If this problem persists, contact your system administrator."

These users are unable to search the Global Address List like most of our other clients, but they are able to add contacts by using an email address. I've seen the error quite a bit on these forums, but generally it has been reported as a global problem - like I said, it's only a few clients who are experiencing the problem. Here are the main details:

- They are all Windows XP SP2 clients, not Vista - but to be safe, I made sure the "Check for server certificate revocation" setting was unchecked
    - The problem is specific to the user's profile, not to the machine, so I don't believe it's related to certificates. If other users log on to a problem user's machine, they can search the GAL with no problem when logged into Communicator. Likewise, when the problem users log on to a different machine, they can search the GAL as well. So the problem is isolated to a specific user's profile on a specific machine.
    - The galcontacts.db file is not downloading to the machines - at least 2 of the 3 - on one of the machines, the file is there, but it's only 100 KB - it should be 3+ MB. On the other machines it doesn't exist at all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:27 PM

Answers

• To resolve this thread, we discovered that for most of these users, we were able to resolve the problem by opening Internet Explorer, going to Internet Options, Advanced tab, and click "Restore advanced settings". I haven't spent additional time to figure out the specific setting that was causing the problem, but this was the quick and dirty fix.
    • Marked as answer by jpatridge Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:14 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

Just to hop onto this thread - our lookup findes groups from the global address book but not invidiual users. The groups arent enabled for OCS as yet but they are still discoverable, any ideas why this would be so?

Thanks 

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Did you try to disable the proxy server in IE?
    Do the users get any authentication popup when downloading the addressbook?

Look at the IIS logfiles to check what is happening...
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Hi

Just to hop onto this thread - our lookup findes groups from the global address book but not invidiual users. The groups arent enabled for OCS as yet but they are still discoverable, any ideas why this would be so?

Thanks 

Please use a new thread as this is a totally different issue
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:41 PM
  • To resolve this thread, we discovered that for most of these users, we were able to resolve the problem by opening Internet Explorer, going to Internet Options, Advanced tab, and click "Restore advanced settings". I haven't spent additional time to figure out the specific setting that was causing the problem, but this was the quick and dirty fix.
    • Marked as answer by jpatridge Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:14 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:50 PM