none
How to implement bulk download of employee MCP transcripts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

for my employer I have to implement a tool to do a bulk download of employee transcripts (~100) and generate overview out of this. For this they provide me an excel sheet containing transcriptid's and access code's.

Before I start coding and building a scraper for the Transcript Share Tool page's I'd like to ask whether someone has a better idea. I can't imagine I'm the first person who's trying to do this.

Right now my only option seems to be building a scraper. I did a small test to do a POST with the transcriptid and access code to the Transcript Validate url, but I received an HTTP 500.

Does anyone know about a web service or deep linking? Both would make development simpler, although deep linking would still require some scraping.

Thanks in advance,

Alexander Pino
    Technical Lead, Lead Developer and Information Architect
    SLTN InterAccess

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:42 AM

Answers

• I am not aware of any such tool that has already been done. If I had to do it, I would build a scraper. They way you are doing it looks right: just send a POST with with the transcriptid and access code to the Transcript URL. If you get an error 500, this probably means that the server requires some of the HTTP headers, or maybe it requires you to handle cookies. Navigate to the Transcript Validate url using a browser, and use the F12 tools to capture the network traffic. Examine which headers are being used, and include in your POST any of those headers which seem to be relevant.
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

Your question is not about Training and certification, please ask your question in any of the MSDN forum on how to build the tool you need.

Danny

Friday, October 9, 2015 12:35 PM

All replies

• I am not aware of any such tool that has already been done. If I had to do it, I would build a scraper. They way you are doing it looks right: just send a POST with with the transcriptid and access code to the Transcript URL. If you get an error 500, this probably means that the server requires some of the HTTP headers, or maybe it requires you to handle cookies. Navigate to the Transcript Validate url using a browser, and use the F12 tools to capture the network traffic. Examine which headers are being used, and include in your POST any of those headers which seem to be relevant.
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

Your question is not about Training and certification, please ask your question in any of the MSDN forum on how to build the tool you need.

Danny

Friday, October 9, 2015 12:35 PM