Toshiba Satellite Pro A300 Wont restore. RRS feed

• Question

• Okay a long post so please bear with me...

Wife's work laptop got a virus, and so the school It dept just reformatted the hard drive and replaced their basic HDD image onto the HDD...

So the data etc is lost, though we have a back up at home..

I have used various restore CDs but al have the same problems...

The restore disc will only load the drivers for the wireless network device, but this wont find the home server on the network.

The ether net connection is a Marvell Yukon device...

So I have downloaded the most up to date drivers from Toshiba and placed them in the same directory as the WHSrestore drivers directory on a memory stick.

Still no joy...

Also backed up the laptop using the LAN cable (all previous back ups were don e via wireless) and still no relevant drivers with in the restore window.

I am reading the forums here and at We got erved for ideas but thought asking wont harm...

Adrian
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:38 AM

Answers

• But would love to know why the Marvell Yurkon drivers wont install within the Restore CD/DVD.

Adrian,

Please make sure you get the 32-bit drivers for Vista (XP-drivers won't work)

And just in case your USB stick contains the o2media drivers for a build-in memory card reader, you might end up with a blue screen (BSOD). Removing the o2media drivers from the USB stick will solve that.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:53 PM

All replies

• It seems that despite ensuring the relevant yukon drivers are in the restore drivers directory, the restore cd will not activate the Ethernet port, so it wont find the server...

the ether et port is enabled in the Bios

I am lost for ideas... unless I use another PC..... swap the hard drive out

Sunday, February 7, 2010 10:23 AM

• It seems that despite ensuring the relevant yukon drivers are in the restore drivers directory, the restore cd will not activate the Ethernet port, so it wont find the server...

the ether et port is enabled in the Bios

I am lost for ideas... unless I use another PC..... swap the hard drive out

It is looking that swapping the hard drive into another PC worked!!

But would love to know why the Marvell Yurkon drivers wont install within the Restore CD/DVD.

Guess I ought to try out a dummy run on all my other PCs to be sure.

Adrian
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

If the drivers are not detected then they can't be the right drivers for your hardware.  There is a guide here that show you step by step how to restore a system and add drivers during the restore process - I'd check this to see if you missed something:

http://www.whshelp.com/articles/WHS%20backup%20after%20hard%20drive%20fails.htm

The A300 is a family of laptops which has a number of models which include different network adapters.  Are you sure you got the right one because a Realtek driver is also listed.  I'm looking at the UK site because that's where I'm based:
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK

Once you have done your restore on another machine I would avoid rebooting it in the 'foriegn' machine as it will probably install a whole bunch of drivers that you don't need on the laptop.

All the best,
    Al

--
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:24 PM
  • But would love to know why the Marvell Yurkon drivers wont install within the Restore CD/DVD.

Adrian,

Please make sure you get the 32-bit drivers for Vista (XP-drivers won't work)

And just in case your USB stick contains the o2media drivers for a build-in memory card reader, you might end up with a blue screen (BSOD). Removing the o2media drivers from the USB stick will solve that.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:53 PM
  • Toshiba Satellite A300 drivers pages .

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:21 PM