Getting Realtek onboard audio to work RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a machine running WHS that I'm wanting to also use to play media files. I'm wanting to use this machine because it's the only one I have available for this. I have managed to get my LCD TV working as its monitor, but I'm struggling to get the sound working.

The specs:
    A64 3000+
    2GB DDR400
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
    X1600 Pro

I downloaded and installed the XP/2000 drivers for the Realtek onboard audio from the Gigabyte site and the device shows up correctly in Device Manager, however no sound comes out. I have tried using both the TV's auxiliary audio input to listen to it and a pair of earphones, to ensure it wasn't a problem with the TV. I also installed this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/835221

But when I did so I could not log in, so I used RDP to remove it and now I can log in again.

Can anyone think how I might get sound working?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:49 PM

All replies

• As WHS is a server, you really shouldn't be using it as a desktop as well. You are very likely to 'break' something and render the whole system unusable.

Also, as WHS is based on Server 2003, it's probable that the drivers you are trying aren't suitable anyway.

Again though, it is not designed to be accessed from the desktop; all operations should only be done through the Console on a Client, as many of what would be the 'normal' server 2003 tools and operations, interfere or damage the Hone Server portion of the installation, so unless you really know what you are doing, beware of possible problems.

As an aside, playing sound back from the server through the Clients or your Xbox etc., doesn't need and sound card or drivers on the server.

Colin

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I understand that WHS isn't meant to ******e used like this, ******ut my girlfriend already disapproves enough of my having 4 computers so I really would struggle to get yet another to use for this. I am looking at another solution to my desire to have my media on my TV, ******ut there are pro******lems associated with that method too (Mac******ook + DVI-HDMI ca******le, TV won't accept sound input).
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:41 PM
  • I believe WHS completely disables audio. It isn't something users can enable again.

You are better off using the streaming media functions to play media off of the server using a different computer. This two-box solution is recommend.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:31 PM