Backups Failing RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I am running WHS w/ PP3 on a home-made server and use it to backup two desktops and a laptop.  I have not been able to make a successful backup for the last several weeks from any of the three systems.  The error is the same every time.

All three systems are running Windows 7 Professional, the 64-bit edition and each has 4 GBytes of RAM memory.  All have SATA drives with total hard drive space on each system between 3 and 5 TBytes.  The WHS has 11 Tbytes installed as server hard drive space.

When I look in the application event log on one of the client systems, the error states

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HomeServer
    Date:          9/5/2010 10:08:02 PM
    Event ID:      770
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Surfer
    Description:
    Backup set 134 on TITANIA failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070079): The semaphore timeout period has expired. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070079)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">770</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-06T02:08:02.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>12255</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Surfer</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>134</Data>
        <Data>TITANIA</Data>
        <Data>System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070079): The semaphore timeout period has expired. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070079)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

This matches what I see when I look at failed backup details using the WHS Console.

What can I do to fix this problem?

UPDATE:

I have narrowed the problem down to the root drive, c:.  I can back up the other drives, but the same error occurs with the c: drive.

When I look at the disk configuration information, I see a 173 MByte OEM partition, the 15 GByte recovery drive and the 916 GByte root drive.  The c: drive has the NFTS formation.

I have another drive with a 55MByte OEM particion and a 298 GByte NFTS partition.  It backs up without any problems.

Thad

• Edited by Lostinhere Monday, September 6, 2010 8:19 PM New Information
    Monday, September 6, 2010 3:01 AM

Answers

• I found a Seagate 1 Tb drive for $50 US, so I replaced the hard drive.  That has fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Lostinhere Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:11 PM
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:10 PM

All replies

• Please try running chkdsk X: /f /r (x represents drive letter) from an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator) on the client.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Brubber,

I have ran chkdsk c: /f /r and chkdsk d: /f/r twice each and have they did not return any issues.  Drives c: and d: both on the same hard drive.  I could run chkdsk d: /f /r in an elevated command prompt window.  For chkdsk c: /f /r, I had to reboot the system so chkdsk could run.

When I tried a manual backup, the same error occurred. 

Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Have  you recently installed any backup software or used some program to backup or image the system drive, or installed any other software on all three of the clients shortly before the backups started failing? If yes please provide details.

If not please try for one client to to remove C-drive from the list of drives being backed up (WHS console, computers and backup tab, configure backup), run a manual backup, than add the drive again and run manual backup again.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:01 AM
  • I reviewed my install and security software logs.  Besides updates, the only new software that has been added in the last 90 days is Silverlight, Office Live and itunes.  No backup software has been added or used.

I removed followed the procedure you suggested above.  I can manually backup all other the drives, both singularly and as a group, when the root drive is removed.  When the drive is added, it fails.

Is there a way to change the backup order of the drives?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:28 AM
  • I found a Seagate 1 Tb drive for $50 US, so I replaced the hard drive.  That has fixed the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Lostinhere Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:11 PM
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:10 PM