Share media files on non-WHS machines? RRS feed

• Question

• Is this possible? I am currently using orb with allows me to simply add the UNC path of any media anywhere on my network and access it remotely over a web browser. Since this has been available for free for years from ORB, I assumed it would surely be possible with WHS. If so, I can't figure out how the heck to do it.

Anyone get this to work?  I have my media scattered on multiple machines at home and don't want to put all of it on my WHS.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, March 30, 2009 3:52 PM Not a hardware/installaiton question
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:28 PM

All replies

• Is this possible? I am currently using orb with allows me to simply add the UNC path of any media anywhere on my network and access it remotely over a web browser. Since this has been available for free for years from ORB, I assumed it would surely be possible with WHS. If so, I can't figure out how the heck to do it.

No, WHS does not allow you to stream media through the internet OOTB.  There is an add-in called WebGuide that has that functionality, but since it hasn't been updated for some time and there have been numerous updates to WHS since it was last updated, I wouldn't trust how well it would work.  As for installing ORB on your server, it's unsupported (as is installing any app that requires server desktop access).

Anyone get this to work?  I have my media scattered on multiple machines at home and don't want to put all of it on my WHS.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:44 PM
  • I have been running ORB on WHS as my better half travels extensively and can still watch all her TV shows this way.   The only issue that I have had with it on WHS is that if you do not shut it down before rebooting the WHS you get an error.

The one thing I likeabout Orb is that you can create a playlist of stuff to share, make it non-visiable and then just give the URL to people so that  they can access content on your server just by clicking on a link, no sign-ons and no access to other media.  Eg we share some video files for her work like that.

I have my media purposely duplicated on other machines as well as the WHS just as I do not want all my eggs in one basket. 
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:40 PM