CRM 2011 Customer Portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install the crm customer portal, (http://dynamics-crm.pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/customer-portal-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-12884910826)

I get the following warning when i try and import the solution.

"One or more components in the solutino already exist in your system as unmanaged components.  Importing this solution will convert the components into managed components for this solution"

"Warning: Any customization that your organization has made to these components will be lost"

I just need to know which ones it is talking about, and what the effects will be?

thanks,

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:50 PM

Answers

• I suspect that you had the CRM 4 version of the customer portal installed in your organization and have upgraded the org to CRM 2011.  The upgrade process will leave the entities as unmanaged.  When you install the portal accelerator, it will convert the entities that are in the solution file to managed entities, which is what you want.  You will not be able to import your unmanaged entities back on top of the managed entities as has been recommended - going to managed is a one-way-trip...  I would recommend doing it because the next version of the portals will assume you are either installing into a fresh new organization or upgrading from the first managed solution file.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Proposed as answer by Maria Joaquin Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:17 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 10:58 PM
  • The CRM 2011 customer portal is a direct port of the CRM 4 customer portal.  The CRM 4 customer portal combined the previous eService, events, and PIA accelerators into a single solution.  The old eService accelerator was deprecated a year and a half ago.

The easiest thing for you to do is to sign up for a new CRM Online 30 day trial and import the customer portal. That way you can examine the schema.  You can also just create a temp organization on your CRM 2011 on-prem server and import it into that as well.  You can hide any of the entities, relationships, and attributes you don't want visible for your customers, but you cannot selectively install components because that is not supported by the CRM 2011 solution feature.

The only entities that are ever converted from unmanaged to managed are the ones that are included in the solution file, and the best way for you to examine that is to simply import it into a fresh org and take a good look at it.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Monday, November 21, 2011 8:25 PM

All replies

• Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

It seems you have unmanaged solution in your CRM org which has the same component with customer portal.

You can first export unmanaged solution, install customer portal, and then import the unmanaged solution back.  Then you should be able to use customer portal functionalities and keep your own unmanaged customizations.

Thanks,
    -Jiulong

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:24 PM
  • I suspect that you had the CRM 4 version of the customer portal installed in your organization and have upgraded the org to CRM 2011.  The upgrade process will leave the entities as unmanaged.  When you install the portal accelerator, it will convert the entities that are in the solution file to managed entities, which is what you want.  You will not be able to import your unmanaged entities back on top of the managed entities as has been recommended - going to managed is a one-way-trip...  I would recommend doing it because the next version of the portals will assume you are either installing into a fresh new organization or upgrading from the first managed solution file.
    • Proposed as answer by Maria Joaquin Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:46 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 10:58 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same error but I have the eService Accelerator installed in CRM 4.0 and then upgraded to 2011.  What components of the eService Accelerator will be converted by installing the ADX Portal Solution?  How can I be sure that only the eService Accelerator components are the ones that are being converted/migrated?

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:16 PM
  • The CRM 2011 customer portal is a direct port of the CRM 4 customer portal.  The CRM 4 customer portal combined the previous eService, events, and PIA accelerators into a single solution.  The old eService accelerator was deprecated a year and a half ago.

The easiest thing for you to do is to sign up for a new CRM Online 30 day trial and import the customer portal. That way you can examine the schema.  You can also just create a temp organization on your CRM 2011 on-prem server and import it into that as well.  You can hide any of the entities, relationships, and attributes you don't want visible for your customers, but you cannot selectively install components because that is not supported by the CRM 2011 solution feature.

The only entities that are ever converted from unmanaged to managed are the ones that are included in the solution file, and the best way for you to examine that is to simply import it into a fresh org and take a good look at it.

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Great information, thank you!

You mentioned that the ADX and Microsoft CRM Portal solutions will "convert" the entities from the 4.0 eService Accelerator into manged components.  I am getting an error when it tries to do this.

A managed solution cannot overwrite the OptionSet component with Id=510311e9-4e6c-417f-9cb5-61c2d078abc1 which has an unmanaged base instance.  The most likely scenario for this error is that an unmanaged solution has installed a new unmanaged OptionSet component on the target system, and now a managed solution from the same publisher is trying to install that same OptionSet component as managed.  This will cause an invalid layering of solutions on the target system and is not allowed.

I looked in the database and the OptionSet the error message is referring to is the msa_eservicesaccesslevel OptionSet on the Contact entity.  It seems like it's having trouble converting this OptionSet to a managed component.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:52 PM

• This is a bug in the CRM solution model.  I don't recall if this has been fixed yet, or if it is scheduled to be fixed in the next rollup.  I would appreciate it if you could let me know which update rollup is installed on your CRM system.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:00 PM
  • We are running Update Rollup 5.

Is there harm in removing the msa_eservicesaccesslevel and msa_webuser attributes from the Customer Portal solution's XML customization file prior to importing?

As far as I can tell, these two attributes are the only old eService components that are migrated into the 2011 Customer Portal solution.  For example, I don't see any of the other eService entities such as eService Audit - Contact or eService Configuration in the customization file so I'm guessing those will not be converted to managed.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it then doesn't make sense to convert the msa_eservicesaccesslevel and msa_webuser attributes to managed.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:56 PM
  • We are having the same issue and are running Update Rollup 5 as well, do you know of an MSDN or Technet article that identifies this as a bug?
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 3:59 AM