Windows Live Communications Platform problem. . . RRS feed

• Question

• I think I've seen most of the threads on this issue, but none seem to apply(?). Windows Live Mail and Contacts seem to work fine. But when I close Live Mail, the "Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close" box appears which I close. It's an annoying extra email step.

I have "Live Mail", "Live Mesh"-ed across 3 machines - the other 2 do not exhibit the problem. I have tried emptying the WL Contacts folder & rebuilding with no success. The problem machine is running XP sp3 with no 3rd party enhancements (although I do have a Nvidia card on board). I've also attempted to sync WL Contacts to the DBStore file across machines using pcAnywhere since this does not seem possible using WL Mesh.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to remedy the appearance of this box?

tom
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tom,

Sounds like the problem lies primarily with Windows Live Mail and not with Live Mesh (although it may be caused by Live Mesh holding files open etc. it still sounds like something that should be tracked with them). For more information / help with Live Mail I would suggest checking out the Live Mail newsgroup at: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

If you do feel that this is a specific Live Mesh bug, then I'd suggest lodging a bug (instructions here) and posting the Connect ID back here once submitted.

Thanks!

Oren
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:49 AM
  • I agree that this is likely to be a Windows Live Mail issue, or perhaps a Windows Live Messenger issue (since both use the Live Contacts store). Have you tried reinstalling the Windows Live Essentials suite on the problem PC? If not, I'd also suggest removing the associated stores from the PC before reinstalling and letting them sync from the servers (contacts and Hotmail). And stop synchronizing with Live Mesh for that PC before removing the mail and contacts store to prevent changes from propagating to the other PCs.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:06 PM
  • OK, I was a little nervous about reinstalling since Live Mail can be a tricky Mesh for pop3 accounts. But I did follow your instructions above, except that I removed contact stores, only, not mail stores.

Good suggestions. The problem seems to be resolved.

Thanks,
    Tom.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Glad to read that it appears to be fixed, Tom. There have been other reported issues with the Contact store affecting Live Messenger in strange ways, so a flush seems to have been the solution.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:49 PM