Copying data from a Non-storage drive to a storage drive RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find anything that says if this is possible or not. I have some drives I want to copy the contents from, then, once they are copied over to the WHS, add them, thus formatting them. Is this possible, or am I going to have to attach them to another computer and copy the contents across the network, then plug them in?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:46 AM

Answers

• I can't seem to find anything that says if this is possible or not. I have some drives I want to copy the contents from, then, once they are copied over to the WHS, add them, thus formatting them. Is this possible, or am I going to have to attach them to another computer and copy the contents across the network, then plug them in?

Thanks!
    The only supported method is to connect them to a client PC, then copy them through the network.  Having said that, you can logon to the server desktop (which is unsupported) and copy the files that way as well.  However, do not copy to D:\shares.  Make sure you use the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop (or you can use \\localhost\[sharename]).
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:54 AM

All replies

Thanks!
    The only supported method is to connect them to a client PC, then copy them through the network.  Having said that, you can logon to the server desktop (which is unsupported) and copy the files that way as well.  However, do not copy to D:\shares.  Make sure you use the Shared Folders on Server icon on the desktop (or you can use \\localhost\[sharename]).
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:54 AM
  • I have found another quick way to do it is the following:

if you still have  the unit hooked up for install, I took a bytecc USB 2.0 Drive Mate (found just about anywhere) and plugged my extra data drives directly into the server.  I am currently doing a direct copy process to a shared folder in WHS that I created for future data sorting. 

once all the data is over, I will be able to migrate it into the proper place and at the same time, have freed up that extra drive to either add into the total pooled storage, or use for another unit.

working great, the usb 2.0 is fast enough for me, and the processes will soon be done.

hope this helps

-Andrew
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I have found another quick way to do it is the following:

if you still have  the unit hooked up for install, I took a bytecc USB 2.0 Drive Mate (found just about anywhere) and plugged my extra data drives directly into the server.  I am currently doing a direct copy process to a shared folder in WHS that I created for future data sorting. 

As I said before, copying to D:\shares is unsupported and probably will cause you issues.  WHS has problems with that (and you already found out about logging into the server desktop from the thread you started).

once all the data is over, I will be able to migrate it into the proper place and at the same time, have freed up that extra drive to either add into the total pooled storage, or use for another unit.

While moving the data to one share will free up the extra hard drives, if you are planning on migrating from one share to another inside WHS to speed up the migration process once the data is in place, don't bother.  When going through the UNC path, the file has to go out, then back in (even if both shares are on the same computer).

working great, the usb 2.0 is fast enough for me, and the processes will soon be done.

hope this helps

-Andrew

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:29 PM
  • yes, kayira, thank you, while trying to help I realize how this can get most people into trouble.  thank you for the clarification and insight

-Andrew
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:35 PM
  • yes, kayira, thank you, while trying to help I realize how this can get most people into trouble.  thank you for the clarification and insight

this will cause you trouble as well, if you copy directly to a shared folder on D: instead of using the UNC path. In D:\shares WHS stores only tombstones, which are used to control, where Drive Extender stores the real and the duplicated data. If you now copy data directly into this folder, you break the mechanics of Drive Extender, which not only may fill up your D: drive, but also cause duplication errors (file conflicts) and similar annoyances.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:53 AM