PC restore from WHS OEM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully complete a full PC restore from a WHS backup.  I did a search and found a lot of people having varying success with folder/files with the Beta or RC1 editions, but no one that had done a complete PC restore.  I'm not asking about a rebuild of the server machine, but a PC that WHS has made a backup of.

I'll be giving it a try tomorrow since I'm getting a new HD for one of my machines, I just wanted to know beforehand.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:48 AM

Answers

• Yes. I have repeatedly restored every WHS client PC I have except one. That one has only been restored once (because it takes forever, having a huge RAID array).

When you replace your drive, it should be with one that is at least as large, and preferably one that connects the same way. And you may need to supply drivers for the restore on a USB flash drive, if you'r using SATA drives, or an odd network card. To obtain and use the correct drivers:
    • Open a recent backup (of the boot partition if you have more than one drive at present) on another client PC
    • Copy the entire folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" from the backup to a flash drive.
    • When you start the restore, if it doesn't see all your hardware, insert the flash drive and add any missing network or storage drivers.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:36 PM
  • I was able to successfully restore a client PC from WHS OEM. I did the same thing that Ken described in his post before booting up the Restore CD. It went very smoothly with no surprises and it turned out that the restore didn't require the drivers on the flash drive. I should note that the client was an XP home system that had one PATA hard drive.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:56 PM

All replies

• Yes. I have repeatedly restored every WHS client PC I have except one. That one has only been restored once (because it takes forever, having a huge RAID array).

When you replace your drive, it should be with one that is at least as large, and preferably one that connects the same way. And you may need to supply drivers for the restore on a USB flash drive, if you'r using SATA drives, or an odd network card. To obtain and use the correct drivers:
    • Open a recent backup (of the boot partition if you have more than one drive at present) on another client PC
    • Copy the entire folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" from the backup to a flash drive.
    • When you start the restore, if it doesn't see all your hardware, insert the flash drive and add any missing network or storage drivers.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:36 PM
  • I was able to successfully restore a client PC from WHS OEM. I did the same thing that Ken described in his post before booting up the Restore CD. It went very smoothly with no surprises and it turned out that the restore didn't require the drivers on the flash drive. I should note that the client was an XP home system that had one PATA hard drive.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:56 PM
  • I also had a successful restore using WHS RTM.

Used the same help tip as Ken posted & had no problem at all.

Tested on the x64 test rig (on a PATA HDD) that is quad booting, only restored 1 OS tho... Vista Home Premium x86, only took 14 minutes to finish. I did restore/over wrote the Vista Ultimate SP1 partition & now i have 2 activated copies of Vista HP, so I am  using the VHP copy for testing SP1 now.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Success here also - have successfully restored two laptops without a single hitch.
    Very pleased with the results.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 8:24 PM
  • I have had mixed results with this.  I was trying to upgrade the hard drive in my Toshiba tablet PC.  Since the tablet does not have an internal DVD drive I had to use a USB connected CD/DVD drive for the boot device.  This produced a BSOD when I tried to boot from it.  (I saw somewhere that this is a known issue)  Same problem booting from the same USB CD/DVD drive connected to a brand new Lenovo tablet.

So then I decided to try my PC (XP SP2).  It booted fine but would not recognize my onboard network adapter.  Loaded the drivers onto a USB drive and tried to use those.  It found the drivers but would still not recognize the network adapter.  So then I disabled that and plugged in a Netgear PCI adapter (GA311) that I had sitting around.  It did recognize the adapter finally but then could not find the WHS box.  Only a single hub between the boxes so I'm not sure why it couldn't find it.  It is possible I needed drivers for that card.

Finally, I was able to get it to work by bringing home the docking station for the Lenovo which had a DVD player in it (not USB).  Connected up the new hard drive via a USB enclosure and copied everything to it.  That worked great. 

I would highly suggest you try it at least once before you actually need it.  Especially if you have older hardware.  You can get all the way to the from/to screen just to see if it would work and then cancel out before anything is copied.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Yes.  I have a Dell M90 that is my Development machine (I am a developer).  I backed up to WHS when my HD started failing.  I got a replacement drive from Dell, then did a simple restore from WHS.  1.5 hours and I was back up and running! 

NICE!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:06 AM