none
Backup doesn't work from one machine running WinXP and I think it was something I disabled. RRS feed

• Question

• I've got all machines in my house backing up to my HP EX495 except my laptop - the backup fails without a useful error message.  I have a feeling this has something to do with changes I made a couple of months ago while trying to troubleshoot why my workgroup suddenly became unbrowseable.  It turned out to be no master browsers on the network (which the new WHS box fixed by stepping up to that job), but in the process I followed some instructions which I can't find anymore (I've spent DAYS looking through my history) and disabled something I can't exactly remember, but I think it might have had something to do with compression support.

I know this is a long shot because of how fuzzy the information is and I'm banging my head for not keeping track of what I did, but in a last ditch effort to avoid completely rebuilding this machine I'm asking if anyone knows what could have been disabled on this machine which the backup process needs, but leaves the machine otherwise completely functional - networking works completely fine on the machine (I'm using it now), this is my most heavily used machine.

Thanks
    Steve
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:18 PM

All replies

• I've got all machines in my house backing up to my HP EX495 except my laptop - the backup fails without a useful error message.  I have a feeling this has something to do with changes I made a couple of months ago while trying to troubleshoot why my workgroup suddenly became unbrowseable.  It turned out to be no master browsers on the network (which the new WHS box fixed by stepping up to that job), but in the process I followed some instructions which I can't find anymore (I've spent DAYS looking through my history) and disabled something I can't exactly remember, but I think it might have had something to do with compression support.

I know this is a long shot because of how fuzzy the information is and I'm banging my head for not keeping track of what I did, but in a last ditch effort to avoid completely rebuilding this machine I'm asking if anyone knows what could have been disabled on this machine which the backup process needs, but leaves the machine otherwise completely functional - networking works completely fine on the machine (I'm using it now), this is my most heavily used machine.

Thanks
    Steve
    Are you able to successfully ping your server from that client, both by name and by IP address?  Have you tried completely disabling all firewalls on that client, then backing it up?
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:56 AM