backup "locked" RRS feed

• Question

• Interestingly, I was never able to get online photo backup success confirmed, but since it ended, several messages have appeared that say it is functioning fine and is up to date, whatever that can mean.  The only control I have over it is some sort of ability to "clean online" (clean WHAT?).  I cannot seem to get into backup to shut it (photo backup) off.  Everything is grayed out and the interface assures me that backup has been configured.   It appears (from this discussion) that online backup is irreversible and has locked me out of overall backup control.  Could that be so?  Willy1

Friday, November 2, 2007 4:57 PM

Answers

• Yes, you would be the owner. :-)

I assume that you activated OneCare with a beta key? If so, your backup settings are stored online. You may want to contact support for help with this, then.

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 8:08 PM

All replies

• Do you have a PC configured as a hub? If so, you may have set up that only the hub can change the backup settings.

-steve

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Hello again Steve:  Well, if either of my computers is a hub, this is it, and I have no control. 

As a side issue, this is the dual boot computer, and since none (far as I can tell) of the issues I am having will be solveable by virtual PC, it looks like my best option is to remain dual boot, although I intend to experiment with the virtual PC.  XP & Vista see the hardware very differently, as you likely well know.   I might be able to use virtual to offload pictures from my camera, and that would be a convenience. 

Saturday, November 3, 2007 10:10 PM
  • On one of your OneCare installations, you should have an option for managing your OneCare circle where it shows the status of your other PCs in the circle - multiple PCs. See if you can configure the photo backup there through Change Settings. Note that you can also elect to "demote" that PC from hub status by expanding that PCs entry in the list. You'll then see an option to stop being a hub.

With Virtual PC you will not be able to offload pictures from the camera to a virtual machine directly - only the Host machine, the physical PC, can see the camera attached to the PC.

-steve

Sunday, November 4, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Hello again Steve:  I took the time this morning to uninstall OneCare, and upon reinstall, I made sure it was not the hub, and neither of the other 2 (one is the dual boot side it cannot see) is a hub.  I remain locked out of backup control, and there is nothing to clean in photo, and never was according to the popup.   It appears the attempting to test online photo backup is the underlying problem in regard to backup control, or so it seems from the cheap seats.  

Another interesting spinoff (apparently) is that before uninstalling and reinstalling OneCare this morning, the other computer (XP Home) could not connect with the internet if the Vista was on the internet (hub status, one presumes), but now the internet has apparently once again become a shared connection and both can be on at the same time (it is a broadband connection using the LAN port). 

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:10 PM
  • After a reinstall of OneCare on the one PC, everything would be reset as it is a fresh installation, so not having photo backup does not surprise me. I'm still not sure why you are unable to configure backup at all, though. Where exactly are you trying to configure the backup settings?

-steve

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Hello Again Steve:   Well, I am becoming in the habit of looking for all different ways to do these things, after the logging incident, so I use "change settings" and eventually end up with the message that

"backup is already configured by the owner"... but that is me, if it ever was.    I have also tried from the main interface down under backup and restore, and then I immediately get the same "...already configured" screen.   Only thing I guessed was that maybe the info is stored at microsoft, waiting for a new hub to be assigned and be a "take charge kinda hub".   Ha!  Willy 1
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Yes, you would be the owner. :-)

I assume that you activated OneCare with a beta key? If so, your backup settings are stored online. You may want to contact support for help with this, then.

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 8:08 PM
  • If the Hub PC configured the backup with option of not to allow the other PCs to change the configuration, you will get this message. Please elevate to a Hub PC, then you should able to change the backup configuration.

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:29 AM
  • I tried to do that (repeatedly) when it was a hub, and it may be that because the hub was Vista, that the administrative permission causes a (somewhat irreversible) problem.  Ever tried to change the time in Vista?  I keep permission in mind when doing things, but I think the whole scheme of permission has not been thought out well.  I tried reinstalling OneCare with hopes of resolving this (and finally got the system out of hub status), and that theory didn't work either.   I'll give the hub thing another try.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:15 PM
  • I tried making the Vista system the "hub" with no success in unlocking backup.  Backup on the Vista and XP-Home systems say that backup has been configured by the owner.  On the XP-Pro system, I was able to "unlock" backup (...remove configured by owner...) by uninstalling the PX engine (per OneCare support) and reinstalling the PX engine... but this same trick would NOT work on Vista or XP-Home.     Willy1      PS... the PX engine is uninstalled by utilizing windowsinstaller cleanup program (msicuu2.exe) from Microsoft
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:14 AM
  • Since support got that workaround for you on the XP machine, I'd follow up with them to discuss the Vista machine that is in the same condition.

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:04 PM