Connecting printer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can i connect printer to WHS, and everyone in our house (2 laptop and desktop) be able to print using the printer connected to server? files ahve to be on server to be able to print?
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Can i connect printer to WHS, and everyone in our house (2 laptop and desktop) be able to print using the printer connected to server? files ahve to be on server to be able to print?

Using your WHS as a print server is unsupported (since there is no way to add it in the Console).  Having said that, it's possible to get it to work if your printer has Server 2003 drivers and you are comfortable logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported) and adding it manually.  However, if you aren't familiar with how WHS works internally, I would not recommend it.  The better option would be to purchase a standalone print server device (a device that converts a local printer into a network printer).
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Using your WHS as a print server is unsupported (since there is no way to add it in the Console).  Having said that, it's possible to get it to work if your printer has Server 2003 drivers and you are comfortable logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported) and adding it manually.  However, if you aren't familiar with how WHS works internally, I would not recommend it.  The better option would be to purchase a standalone print server device (a device that converts a local printer into a network printer).
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 12:57 PM
  • As Kariya21 has mentioned, using your server as a print server is unsupported. There are a number of issues with doing this; the largest is really that most of the printers that people will want to use are inexpensive consumer printers, which typically use driver technology that doesn't lend itself to being used on a network. If there's a Windows Server 2003 driver for your printer, you can try it by installing the driver and connecting the printer; you should then be able to share the printer, install additional drivers in administrative mode (for automatic download to other operating systems), etc. All of this is unsupported, of course.

However, to be honest you'll probably get equal or better performance form an inexpensive network-aware multifunction printer, which is what I really recommend.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 2:03 PM