Problem uninstalling NoReplyAll add in as administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I am a IT tech, not a developer and got convinced to install the NoReplyAll add in for some of our users.  It worked great on all of thier computers until this week.  One of the users no longer saw the add-in.  Our users do not have admin rights to install applications on thier computers.

I uninstalled the NoReplyAll add-in as administrator and tried to reinstall it to have the add-in show back, but get error that the add-in is already installed.  I since found out that if you uninstall a .vsto file on a Windows 7 machine it will leave the user's registry keys.

Is there a way to remove these keys?  Or does anyone know the registry paths so I can manually remove them?

Thanks,

Joanna

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:47 PM

Answers

• Deleting the NoReplyAll directories did not fix the problem.  I got drastic and searched for NoReplyAll entries in the customer's registry. It looks like if you uninstall as administrator it only deletes the registry entries for the administrator.  I was able to reinstall the add-in after I deleted the registry entries and the user is able to use the add-in now. I would also guess if its installed for multiple users, when uninstalled it only deletes the registry entries for the person uninstalling the add-in

There were 3 entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER that I deleted.  I forgot to write the exact path when I deleted. 

Thanks your your help.

Joanna

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• On my development machine I end up with fragments of installs all the time (because part of running tests involves installing the add-in and more often than not I forget to clean up properly) and I might be seeing the same sort of problem as you... I don't think the issue is registry keys, but stuff left lying around in the .NET ClickOnce cache: navigate to "<localappdata>\Apps\2.0\<some gibberish>\<some gibberish>" and you'll see some directories called "nore..<something>" and "manifests" - what I end up doing is delete all the "nore.." directories, and the "nore.." files in the "manifests" directory, which seems to be sufficient to clean things up. (<localappdata> is typically c:\users\<user>\appdata\local on Vista and Windows 7.)

Now, I've only ever tried this as a single user - I'd hope that you just need to repeat the above for all users, but I've not investigated.

Please let me know if that works...

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Deleting the NoReplyAll directories did not fix the problem.  I got drastic and searched for NoReplyAll entries in the customer's registry. It looks like if you uninstall as administrator it only deletes the registry entries for the administrator.  I was able to reinstall the add-in after I deleted the registry entries and the user is able to use the add-in now. I would also guess if its installed for multiple users, when uninstalled it only deletes the registry entries for the person uninstalling the add-in

There were 3 entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER that I deleted.  I forgot to write the exact path when I deleted. 

Thanks your your help.

Joanna

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:28 PM
  • That's good to know - maybe this will help me get my dev machine back into a clean for too! I didn't think of spending much time looking in the registry...
    Friday, April 20, 2012 4:23 PM