How many edge servers required for a REMOTE ocs client to IM a federation partner such as MSN? RRS feed

• Question

• Do I need TWO edge servers for this senerio:

A REMOTE ocs client wants to IM yahoo, msn or aol?

It appears that a single edge server cannot do both roles for a REMOTE ocs client?

Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:42 AM

Answers

• The first line in that section states "you can optionally use..."

All this paragraph is saying is that if you decided to use two seperate servers and split the PIC and Federation connections acroos them, then you need to configure them as discribed or it won't work correctly.

But, you certainly can communcaite with both Public IM and Federated contacts with only a single, consolidated Edge deployment.  I'm connected externally via Edge 95% of the time and communcaite daily with both Public and Federated contacts.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:58 AM

All replies

• I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but a single Edge server

containing the Access Edge, Web Conferecing Edge, and A/V Edge services can support both federation and Public IM connectivity for both your internal and external clients.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:56 PM
  • You would only need one edge server (depending of course on the load!).

Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:10 PM
  •  

·         In your edge server deployment, you can optionally use one Access Edge Server for remote user access and a different Access Edge Server for federation and public IM connectivity. In this configuration on the Access Edge Server used for remote access, if you want to enable federation or public IM connectivity for your remote users, select the Allow remote users to communicate with federated contacts check box. This option allows your remote users to send communications through the Access Edge Server dedicated for federation and public IM connectivity. If you do not select this option when configuring a dedicated Access Edge Server for remote user access, your remote users cannot send or receive messages to federated or public IM contacts. This option is not available when you also enable federation on the Access Edge Server.

* page 65, of the OCS Edge Server Deployment.doc

I really think I need TWO edge servers to allow REMOTE users to do public im with yahoo, AOL, or msn,

has anyone confirmed doing an IM when you are NOT on the same network as your OCS 2007 box and trying to IM yahoo, AOL, or MSN when you are connected via the edge server.

The document above and the greyed out button on the edge server tells me I cannot do this and I will need two edge servers to accomplish this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:17 AM
  • The first line in that section states "you can optionally use..."

All this paragraph is saying is that if you decided to use two seperate servers and split the PIC and Federation connections acroos them, then you need to configure them as discribed or it won't work correctly.

But, you certainly can communcaite with both Public IM and Federated contacts with only a single, consolidated Edge deployment.  I'm connected externally via Edge 95% of the time and communcaite daily with both Public and Federated contacts.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:58 AM