none
WHS Protocol error between Computer and Server - 1.5Tb local disk failed to backup RRS feed

• Question

• This 1.5Tb drive is an internal disk on one of my client computers running W7/64 that goes into sleep mode at the end of my working day and the WHS connector is set to wake the computer for backup, this has been working fine for all of the other 3 drives in this computer, however it appears that WHS is seeing this drive but is not recognising the drive partition as the "details of Volume" comes up as (local Disk) instead of  the disk name (F:(1.5Tb Media)).

Manual backup works fine with no errors.

My suspicion is that <1Tb drives take longer than lower capacity drives to spin up and register themselves on the system and that WHS is not allowing enough time for this to occur when awakening the computer for backup.

I had a similar problem with this drive in that it was disappearing from my system when comming out of sleep mode - this was fixed by applying a microsoft hotfix (KB 977178) that allows more time for drives to spin up and register themselves on the system when returning from Sleep Mode.

Now for my Question:

Is there such a fix for WHS? or is this problem related to something else, if so, what, and how to solve it?

PS: this drive was added to the system only recently and the problem seems to only occur if the client is in sleep mode prior to backup.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:52 AM

All replies

• I'd say that this is an issue with the client computer, rather than with Windows Home Server, and most likely a hardware issue. Even if a computer wakes from hibernation for backup, it should still only take a few seconds for a disk to spin up, and Windows takes longer to resume from hibernation than that. And if waking from sleep, the backup engine (on the client) will normally wait more than long enough before initiating a backup.

You can try running

chkdsk /r

on the drive in question, but I won't guarantee that this will fix the issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:29 PM