Backup error - Communications RRS feed

• Question

• Currently have 1 laptop and 1 pc setup to be backed up by the server.

The laptop was successfully backed up manually for the first time (via wifi to the wifi router.)

The desktop is causing problems: (it is wired, as is the server)

first box says:

Backup Status: (100% complete)  <confusing since it is followed by:>

Stringbug: The backup failed because the communication was temporarily lost with your Windows Home Server. Retrying the backup may resolve this problem.

upon opening the console the backup status of all pcs is unknown

when opening the console to look in the backup a messagebox appears with the following:
    WHS admin console cannot start wizard because Home server computer backup service is not running. Try restarting WHS. If does not solve the problem, reinstall whs or restore your server to a previous backup.

At the same time I can brows shared folder so have access!? hwne browsing through shared foolders a bit longer all hangs and all that is left to do is restart the server.

I have tried to do a manual backup twice for this desktop, bith time unsuccessful.

Any ideas? Many thanks!

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 11:09 AM

Answers

• I have now resolved this. I ran scandisk with repair option before with now effect.

I have now run it again (after another reboot) and this has done the trick, back-ups running smoothly.

This product is GREAT!

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:31 AM

All replies

• There are quite a number of bug reports related to STRINGBUG errors on Connect. You should take a look at them to see if any of them describe your issue, and to see if any of them offer workarounds. You should also create TalQ logs from your server and failing client, and either provide the CAB numbers in your feedback (if adding to a pre-existing bug) or include them with a new bug report (if nothing is applicable).
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:09 PM
  • I have the same problem on one machine.  I've tried several times and I cannot get it backed up.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 2:55 PM
  • I have now resolved this. I ran scandisk with repair option before with now effect.

I have now run it again (after another reboot) and this has done the trick, back-ups running smoothly.

This product is GREAT!

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:31 AM