What is best way to limit the hours per day a resource is scheduled? RRS feed

• Question

• I have groups of people that shouldn't be assigned to projects 100% of the work day.  Operations guys should be perhaps 50% on projects, some devs perhaps 80%, and so on.

At first I thought Max Units was the key -- set everyone to an appropriate Max Units value.  But that doesn't do what I want:  if I create a 4 hour task and assign a 50% max unit guy to it, the work becomes 2 hours (work = duration X assignment units).   I wanted the 50% max to apply to the whole day, not each individual task.  50% max units means I have to find someone to do the other 2 hours because the task still requires 4 hours of labor.

I thought I could set their various calendars to show the unavailable time as non-working but that seems pretty harsh.  An overallocation might not be a bad thing sometimes.  I could make an "operations calendar" and a "dev calendar" and assign enterprise resources to the appropriate calendar.

Does anyone have a cleaner solution?  Or see where I am missing something?

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Glenn,

My first thought would be creating separate calendars as you mentioned "Operations" and a "Dev" and assign to respective resources, limit the hours. This will do the thing for you.

Similar request came through to me by one of my customer in past and suggested them similar.

Hope this helps!

Uttkarsh

Blog| uttkarshkalia.wordpress.com

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:23 AM
  • We amused ourselves making fun of the way Max Units is handled.  "It's a 4 hour task, and because I assigned Joe to it and he works 50%, the task is now a two hour task."  So if the task is, "Joe makes delivery to factory", then using Max Units, Joe drives the truck about half way and then just abandons the vehicle on the street.  WHY?  Because Joe only does HALF OF EVERYTHING YOU TELL HIM TO DO!

Then we got to thinking Max Units is in reality intended to be a real person -- a person named "Max."  Max Units is the guy who shows up in your office, sits down, and chats you up so much you don't get your work done.

Ho ho.

I really wish I didn't have to make custom resource calendars; I feel like it screws up other aspects of Project Server administration.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:40 PM
  • You can use the MAX units value effectively if you manage your work values on the tasks. As you've seen, planning duration only doesn't cut it.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Wanted to say I 100% agree with Gary on this - have a separate post in which I asked a similar question, and using Max Units for resources (we use 75% across the board) in conjunction with work values really helped a lot. Good luck!
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:55 PM
  • What is the task type setting on the tasks?

Are they Fixed Units, Fixed Duration, or Fixed Work?  And, if they are either Fixed Units, Fixed Duration, are they set to 'Effort Driven'?

This will drive the way tasks calculate the work based on the resources units, sometimes these settings can result in strange outcomes, like Max appearing to need only half the time to drive the load to your factory. ; - )

-Kevin

Kevin Williamson, MCTS, PMP Senior Advisor Advisicon
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:57 PM