Rain on nvidia raid controler RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just recieved my WHS but i'm having some problems in instaling the RAID drivers of my asus P5N32-E.
    The boot goes fine and then i get the message that no drive was found and if i want to load drivers i choose yes and then i load the nvraid.inf (drivers for windows 2003) but when it loads i get a message saying that the driver has to reboot the system.

What can i do to resolve this?
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't know if you realise, but you need to install any drivers like this, twice; once initially for the server 2003 portion, and then again for the WHS portion. You have to be nimble, to catch the F6 prompt, and a number of people have had to do re-installs to catch it!

Colin

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't know if you realise, but you need to install any drivers like this, twice; once initially for the server 2003 portion, and then again for the WHS portion. You have to be nimble, to catch the F6 prompt, and a number of people have had to do re-installs to catch it!

Colin

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

But when do i have to push f6?
    I googled before i posted and i've found some answers that said that but i've tryied without sucess.
    I've tryied after pushing enter( to boot from the CD, at the first loading screen), and also at the second boot screen, but it didn't make anything.
    I supose that the first loading screen is windows 2003 and second is WHS because of the grafics.

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:02 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, and I've had no luck.  There is no F6 prompt for the first install; you can press F8 for some options, such as allowing unsigned drivers, but I haven't found anything that lets me install either.  I'm also trying to install NVIDIA drivers on an ASUS A8N32-SLI, and I've tried using the drivers shipped with the motherboard, the drivers on ASUS's website, and the newest from NVIDIA - all produce the same result.  I've tried loading the drivers from USB, floppy, and over the network, and again, same result.

Has anyone found a fix?

Thanks,

Brian
    Friday, April 11, 2008 5:56 PM
  • During the install you will be presented with a screen that should have all of your hard drives listed if not it gives you the option to install drivers.  My hard drive showed up here just fine so I did not have to load drivers.  After you are sure your WHS recoginizes your drives continue on.  It will warn you that WHS will erase all data on drives.  Now if you are planning on using a raid configuration don't walk away from your install because you will need to load your drivers from a floppy disk by pressing the F6 key.  It is a very short window but you should see a message at bottom of blue install screen to press F6 to load additional drivers.  The only way I found to do this was with a floppy drive, but I have seen other posts that say you can load your drivers with USB stick.  Once you load the drivers from floppy leave disk in and you should be able to let the install run unattended. 

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  

Hi,

Until that screen on witch the drives are displayed i dont have any blue screen just 3 loading bars.

The first is like windows 2000 loading, the second is like windows vista loading and the third has already a background like windows vista. after that it says that i don't have any drive that windows could detect and a box apears for me to load the drivers, but when i do, it gives a message that "driver requires a reboot" the i push ok and it returns to the box to load drivers.

I don't see any blue screen neither any message to push f6.

Regards

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:28 PM
  • I have an Asus M2N-E mobo with 4 400 gb drives, I want to run RAID5 on my system, well at least investigate it.  I had WHS up and running without the RAID and wanted to see what would happen when a drive is pulled (power off of course).  Well by chance I pulled drive 0, the drive that has the system volume.  After that, the system would not boot, even when the drive was plugged back into the system.  So I wanted to try a RAID5 setup and see if I could boot the array with one drive down. 

Here is the sequence that seems to work so far (I am currently bringing it all up):

* setup raid 5 (or whatever level you want) on your mobo using the the on-board utility.

* create a driver disk with windows 32 bit vista drivers and put in the floppy drive of your system.

* boot the WHS setup DVD.

* when the white loading bar is visible on the bottom of your screen, hit the F8 key a few times.

* you will see the boot screen, select "disable driver signature checking"  and press enter.

* when setup prompts that no drive was found, select Yes to load drivers, and load the nvraid driver from the  floppy.

* WHS will now see the RAID array and proceed with the installation.

More to follow once I get this install up.  Thanks to everyone's posts.

Best regards,

Paul

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:03 PM
  •  paulsaffren wrote:

I have an Asus M2N-E mobo with 4 400 gb drives, I want to run RAID5 on my system, well at least investigate it.  I had WHS up and running without the RAID and wanted to see what would happen when a drive is pulled (power off of course).  Well by chance I pulled drive 0, the drive that has the system volume.  After that, the system would not boot, even when the drive was plugged back into the system.  So I wanted to try a RAID5 setup and see if I could boot the array with one drive down. 

Here is the sequence that seems to work so far (I am currently bringing it all up):

* setup raid 5 (or whatever level you want) on your mobo using the the on-board utility.

* create a driver disk with windows 32 bit vista drivers and put in the floppy drive of your system.

* boot the WHS setup DVD.

* when the white loading bar is visible on the bottom of your screen, hit the F8 key a few times.

* you will see the boot screen, select "disable driver signature checking"  and press enter.

* when setup prompts that no drive was found, select Yes to load drivers, and load the nvraid driver from the  floppy.

* WHS will now see the RAID array and proceed with the installation.

More to follow once I get this install up.  Thanks to everyone's posts.

Best regards,

Paul

My trial is up and I'd like to try this on my WHS box. Did this work? I don't want the nightmare I had last time where I spent about 3 days attempting to install WHS using every type of random driver I could find.

FYI the board I use is an Asus A8N32-Deluxe (someone else had this board too) and once before I managed to have it detect the driver and install, but never to boot again since it didn't set itself up with the driver after the install. Painful!

Cheers for your routine anyway!
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Thanks Paul,
    I have six 500gb sata drives that I want to set up as a RAID5 array using the NVRAID utility. I tried many times to get WHS setup, but never could complete the install. I had a feeling that this may have been a driver signing issue, but didn't know about the F8 option to disable it. I'll give it another try tomorrow, hopefully will be able to get it going. Final storage will be 2.27tb with fault tolerance! Woohoo!
    ~Bear
    Monday, March 23, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Windows Home Server does not support RAID.
    Also the maximum size of supported volumes is 2 TB.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:23 AM