cannot access internal metadata - part 2 RRS feed

• Question

• A number of posters in this thread
    http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3265939&SiteID=75
    myself included, have posted since it was marked as answered and are having the same problem. I thought I would open a new thread just in case.

In my case I can create a new folder pair and run synctoy 2.0 beta once. After that I always get the error immmediately. The suggested solution of reinstalling or repairing synctoy and SQL CE have not fixed the problem. This is on Windows Home Server.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 5:47 PM

Answers

• Yes SyncToy will help in this scenario.

Can you try out these steps in this order -

1) Install WHS PP1 ( which I see you have already done) and please follow reboot instructions if any.

2) Delete all the folder pairs that you currently have.

3) Uninstall and then reinstall SyncToy 2.0 on your laptop (running XP).

4) Recreate your folder pairs and start using SyncToy to keep folders in sync.

This should help

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:55 PM

All replies

• I tried to use synctoy 2.0 beta on windows  Xp(32bit) sp2, it works well to me.

I did not got the error you descriped.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

There is an issue with Windows Home Server and SyncToy 2.0 Beta. For more details on the problem please refer to -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946676/en-us?spid=12624

SyncToy 2.0 RTM version can avoid the problem as long as SyncToy 2.0 is installed on a non-Windows Home Server box and is used to synchronize between a non-WHS and WHS share.

For those of you on Vista, experiencing the issue - we have seen that a problem occurs if UAC settings are changed after initial creation of the folder pair. So please verify that the settings remain the same.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I should have added that the Power Pack 1 appears to resolve the issue. If you could report back to us that it fixes the SyncToy issue - that would help !

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Didn't realize the SyncToy 2 was one of the programs that could cause corruption. Maybe that makes sense depending on what kind of tracking/database files it has and where.

I don't recall if the issue first showed up before or after I installed PP1 RTM (I never installed PP1 Beta). But I definitely reinstalled SyncToy and SQL CE after installing PP1 and the problem persists with the current, faulty folder pair. I did not create a new folder pair after installing PP1.

I'm going to delete all faulty the folder pairs and create a new pair pointing to a new destination. That should allow me to test multiple executions. I'll let you know.

I noticed you mentioned SyncToy 2.0 RTM. Does that mean the RTM version is near?
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Well so far so good. I haven't seen the error with a new folder pair on WHS PP1.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 1:54 PM
  • I have installed WHS PP1 I have not reinstalled SQL (and I dont know how).

Keep in mind what I am trying to do. I want to work with files from a folder that resides on my laptop (Running Win XP (Latest Service Pack)). I have WHS and a new desktop useing Vista at home. I installed Sync Toy on my laptop and figured I would sync the folder on my laptop with a shared folder on my WHS that way I can access it from my desktop Vista machine, change an move arround files, then just sync from the laptop to to get what ever changes were made. I would then still be able to then take that folder/laptop outside of my network and use it, then sync again whenever I am back home and have it available to work with either on my desktop or laptop. It Syncs the very first time when I create the folder but no more.

I have MS Groove is that better for what I want to do?

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Yes SyncToy will help in this scenario.

Can you try out these steps in this order -

1) Install WHS PP1 ( which I see you have already done) and please follow reboot instructions if any.

2) Delete all the folder pairs that you currently have.

3) Uninstall and then reinstall SyncToy 2.0 on your laptop (running XP).

4) Recreate your folder pairs and start using SyncToy to keep folders in sync.

This should help

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:55 PM
  •  

Hi Deepa,

I think the problem is filename length (full-path) on vista. I have not tried any new releases but I will in the next few weeks. Thanks

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

i just wanted to share my experience for today.

I also got this error for some orders, though others worked. In most cases I don't know why.

But today I wanted to backup one order on my pc but run synctoy on my laptop. Got the "cannot access Metadata"-error. When I tried to run it again, but on my pc, i got an other error. There wasn't enough space left, it said synctoy needs 1MB or more to write it's metadata. Wink

When I had enough space again and run synctoy on my laptop again it worked fine. So make sure you have enough space in both orders, otherwise you'll get this error even for previewing.

However, in most cases there is enough space and it's not working.

Greetings
    Meraa
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:14 AM
  •  

Hi,

I'm also seeing this issue.  I tried installing the SQL update as suggested with no luck.  I have XP SP3 and was working fine with synctoy 1.4.  Not sure what else to try... my files are getting way out of date and I need to run the syncs!

Any help appreciated.

Walter

Sunday, October 5, 2008 1:11 PM
  • If you are getting an "cannot access internal metadata" it is definitely a corruption of the metadata file that we use internally to keep track of changes that have been made. There was a definite corruption issue with WHS but none so far reported with XP SP3. I suggest you delete the folder pair and recreate it once again and see if it fixes the issue. The initial sync maybe slow but we should copy the right files over.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:42 PM