Order of CRM 4.0 install on Windows Server 2008 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• On a Windows Server 2008 SP2 machine promoted as a domain controller what would be the best order of install of the following?
    Are there known challenges?

SQL 2008 Standard
    Dynamics CRM 4.0
    SharePoint 2007

Monday, October 26, 2009 2:57 PM

Answers

• Maybe this is a dev or test environment?  If so, maybe that is why Alex made the recommendation.   You can have a read through this article if you like.  Have a look at the paragraph entitled Design Considerations.  It validates that you can put all of the applications on one virtual environment for development purposes.

I think the order you have above is fine if you want to try it out. 

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Lanp Monday, October 26, 2009 4:46 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:37 PM

All replies

• From the Dynamic CRM 4.0 Planning guide

·         The computer on which Microsoft Dynamics CRM is running cannot function as an Active Directory domain controller, unless it is running Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition R2.

Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Donna,

Thanks for your reply, but I am afraid your information is outdated.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950100
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Thanks Jerry,  I appreciate the information

I am not seeing the place in the article where it says CRM 4 can be run on a server that is an Active Directory domain controller.  Can you copy that part for me?  I guess I need to get the latest planning and install guide if that has changed.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Donna,

I see what you are saying and my previous comment appears to be suspect, but this makes no sense to me.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979232.aspx

Alex was recomending to me that I promote the server to a domain controller and told me how to do it.  I wonder if he has encountered this question.

I would not want two virtual machines running at the same time just to have a domain controller.
    Also, if it were not compatible in a single server environment I can't imagine why would they put Dynamics 4.0 in MAPS along with Server 2008.

Monday, October 26, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Maybe this is a dev or test environment?  If so, maybe that is why Alex made the recommendation.   You can have a read through this article if you like.  Have a look at the paragraph entitled Design Considerations.  It validates that you can put all of the applications on one virtual environment for development purposes.

I think the order you have above is fine if you want to try it out. 

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Lanp Monday, October 26, 2009 4:46 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:37 PM
  • I just looked over MAPS again and found that they include 2008 Small Business Edition.  It looks like I have chosen the wrong server and need to start over with SBE.

Thanks for the help. Your information is up-to-date and correct.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:46 PM