Restore Wizard: Cannot locate home server RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was able to make a backup of my new Vista Ultimate laptop (Dell XPS 1330) while connected to my WHS - HP EX475 running PP1.

Just for "fun" I deleted my laptop's main partition by booting to the Vista setup DVD and deleting the partitions (I'm trying to recover 10GB of wasted space that Dell threw into a recovery partition). Now I'm running into problems!

After booting up from the latest WHS Restore CD (downloaded latest online) I keep getting "Windows Home Server Not Found" message.

I backed up my laptop using my LAN connection which is wired directly into my Linksys WRT54GS (also where my WHS HP EX475 is connected). For some reason the laptop is not able to find the home server at all but it is working on my other PC's and another laptop (also connected right into the Linksys).

When I try and "Find my home server manually" using both the IP address or the name of the server it doesn't work.

Troubleshooting: Since the restore wizard was only showing my Broadcom Wireless driver I turned off my WEP wireless protection, still no connectivity.

Next I copied over the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder onto a flash drive and used those drivers for the Restore Wizard to see my "Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet" LAN option (it only discovered 802.11N Broadcom on its own for some reason). Again no success.

I believe my problems might be because of this wireless route the restore wizard is trying to connect through. Is there any way to remove that driver? Any ideas on how to get the home server to use the LAN connection; its directly attached to the Linksys which uses simple DHCP but I don't see it on my Linksys status console?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

-Mark

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:03 AM

Answers

• SUCCESS! SOLVED!

Here's what I did based on my guess that the new fancy driver for the Broadcom Network card was the problem...

a) I reinstalled Vista on the laptop (man, that's a lot nicer process than w2003)

b) Vista by default installed a Broadcom 590x 10/100 driver.

c) I was able to see the WSH after installation verifying that these Broadcom drivers are functional

d) I then made a backup of this box to the WSH

e) From this backup I then made a copy of the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" onto a flash usb drive.

f) I rebooted the laptop into the WSH recovery CD.

g) I added additional drivers from the flash drive 

After that it immediately saw the WSH (HPServer). I selected my original backup and all was well after that!

<<Now what the heck is wrong with those other drivers? That was a painful exercise!!!!>>

Thanks Olaf and Colin for your support.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

I assume you can deactivate the WLAN adapter in the Bios. Check also, that the LAN adapter is not disabled there.

The laptop runs on electrical power?

Finding the proper network adapter is a pain sometimes, since you have to rely on the hidden automatic completely. Extracting the proper drivers from the system later seems to be a problem as well in such situations. I figured out yesterday, that on a VMWare based XP not even the Windows Home Server Drivers folder is available.

And the recovery environment unfortunately does not give a cmd prompt to fix such behavior manually, so its all about find proper driver files before.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:37 AM
  • Mark,

As Olaf say, if the wireless adapter has been the one in use, then the other wired adapter is probably disabled. Some Dell notebooks have a hardware switch, or maybe you will need to go into the BIOS to ensure that the wireless one is disabled, and the wired one is enabled.

Colin

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:02 AM
  •  

I tried the hardware switch but it still showed up. Then I disabled in the BIOS and it non longer showed up. Of course, with the flash drive I was able to see the Broadcom NIC but still not able to connect to the WSH.

Not sure how else to get the networking right.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Thanks Olaf. Yes LAN adapter is enabled in BIOS and I did disable the WLAN adapter but unfortunately my network is still not happy. Yes everything is running plugged into my AC power. We definately need a CMD prompt here!!!!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:52 AM
  • Hi Marc,

dhcp is enabled on the router and is working?

You can try to boot from your Vista DVD, open computer repair options and select command prompt.

If you type

startnet

the Vista recovery environment should now try to connect to the network.

Does it succeed?

Does your system get a proper IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS?

Can you ping the server in this case by name and by IP address?

Olaf

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:39 AM
  •  Olaf Engelke wrote:

Hi Marc,

dhcp is enabled on the router and is working?

You can try to boot from your Vista DVD, open computer repair options and select command prompt.

If you type

startnet

the Vista recovery environment should now try to connect to the network.

Does it succeed?

Does your system get a proper IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS?

Can you ping the server in this case by name and by IP address?

Olaf

I've tried it all and I'm positive its not my network.

I moved the WSH server to my other LAN segment (which is a hub) and managed by a DHCP service running under windows 2003 server. That segment had no problem with the WHS getting a new IP and my other boxes seeing it without issues. The laptop, of course, while plugged into the hub refused to see the WHS.

Next, I installed my brand new Linsys WRT610N wireless N router and got it configured with all my machines and my other two laptops had no problem getting new IP's and the plugging the home server in the back to this new router (has 4 ports on the back) it had no problem getting a new IP as well.

Then I tried both the wireless on the new XPS laptop without success, then disabled it in the bios and tried again and theres no way I can seem to get any communication out of this broadcom NIC on the XPS laptop. Everyone else (2 other dell laptops and two home grown machines) get on the network and communicate to the WHS no issues.

I did read in other threads of people that similar issue and simply changed their router and it worked. In my case I'm thinking its the new Broadcom NetLink Fast Ethernet. I can't believe on three different routers that this new Laptop cannot connect.

Thanks again for all your replies

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:04 AM
  • SUCCESS! SOLVED!

Here's what I did based on my guess that the new fancy driver for the Broadcom Network card was the problem...

a) I reinstalled Vista on the laptop (man, that's a lot nicer process than w2003)

b) Vista by default installed a Broadcom 590x 10/100 driver.

c) I was able to see the WSH after installation verifying that these Broadcom drivers are functional

d) I then made a backup of this box to the WSH

e) From this backup I then made a copy of the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" onto a flash usb drive.

f) I rebooted the laptop into the WSH recovery CD.

g) I added additional drivers from the flash drive 

After that it immediately saw the WSH (HPServer). I selected my original backup and all was well after that!

<<Now what the heck is wrong with those other drivers? That was a painful exercise!!!!>>

Thanks Olaf and Colin for your support.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:16 AM
  • I hope somebody can help me out here...

I succeeded in copying the Windows "Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder onto a flash drive... and I even confirmed that my wireless drivers were in the folder... but when I load the WHS disk, it doesn't see the wireless card.  Just my two ethernet ports.  I attempt to load the drivers from the flash drive... and although it says it found my hardware... I still only see my two ethernet ports.  I even explored the ISO file and put my wireless drivers into the //WINDOWS/System32/DRIVERS folder before burning the restore CD to prevent the need for a flash drive during a backup.   Obviously... it didn't help me.

In case it helps...  I have an AirLink AWLH6080 Wireless-N PCI card, and the drivers are available here:  http://www.airlink101.com/support/index.php?cmd=files&id=101

The driver it needs is netr28x or something like that...  (that part is from memory).  The important part is that the same driver in the device manager is in the drivers folder in the "Drivers for Restore" folder.  In other words... it should be the same driver, and it SHOULD work.

Something else of interest is that windows 7 saw my wireless card DURING INSTALL... so apparently a compatible driver is in the win7 disk.  Why not the WHS disk?

According to the official procedure here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/backup.mspx
    You HAVE to be connected via ethernet, and they say that most wireless connections won't work. 

Can anyone help me to get mine to work?

Thanks,

Ryan

Friday, November 6, 2009 5:24 PM
  • I hope somebody can help me out here...

I succeeded in copying the Windows "Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder onto a flash drive... and I even confirmed that my wireless drivers were in the folder... but when I load the WHS disk, it doesn't see the wireless card.  Just my two ethernet ports.  I attempt to load the drivers from the flash drive... and although it says it found my hardware... I still only see my two ethernet ports.  I even explored the ISO file and put my wireless drivers into the //WINDOWS/System32/DRIVERS folder before burning the restore CD to prevent the need for a flash drive during a backup.   Obviously... it didn't help me.

In case it helps...  I have an AirLink AWLH6080 Wireless-N PCI card, and the drivers are available here:  http://www.airlink101.com/support/index.php?cmd=files&id=101

The driver it needs is netr28x or something like that...  (that part is from memory).  The important part is that the same driver in the device manager is in the drivers folder in the "Drivers for Restore" folder.  In other words... it should be the same driver, and it SHOULD work.

Something else of interest is that windows 7 saw my wireless card DURING INSTALL... so apparently a compatible driver is in the win7 disk.  Why not the WHS disk?

According to the official procedure here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/backup.mspx
    You HAVE to be connected via ethernet, and they say that most wireless connections won't work. 

Can anyone help me to get mine to work?

Thanks,

Ryan

Restoring an entire PC via wireless is unsupported (and, if you have any kind of security on your wireless network at all, impossible), not to mention how loooooooong it would take via wireless.  You would be better off connecting your computer to your network via an ethernet cord, then switching back to wireless once it's complete.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 11:58 PM