Can I synchronize 3 devices usings Synctoy? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to synchronize 1 folder on a PC with a USB drive then use this drive and synchronize it with the content of another folder on a second PC.
    As I don't quite understand how does SyncToy track changes, I am wondering if this scenario could lead to data loss???

Thanks in advance for your help

Fab
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Fab,
         For your scenario SyncToy could help you achieve it. You can create 2 synctoy folder pairs on each PC.
    If you want three of them are absolutly keeping synced, i.e. any change on the second PC could be reflect to both USB drive and the first PC, you could configure those 2 folder pairs' action as Synchronize, ** Notice **, the last changes will be kept if there are change conflict.
    If you just want to sync file from PC1 to usb and keep a copy on PC2 too, configure those 2 folder pairs as echo, Folder pair 1: left PC1--right USB, Folder Pair 2: left USB--right PC2, action  both are echo.

Hope this could be helpful to you!

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:18 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi Ping,

Thanks so much for your reply. This is helpful indeed!
    FYI ~ I will not be in a situation of "change conflict" as the USB key will only be used to transfer updates from PC 1 to PC 2 and vice versa depending on which PC I am working on. But I won't make changes on both PCs without prior synchronisation.

So this will work for me.

Thanks again!

Fab
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:59 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:53 AM