WHS Remote Access has wrong IP address in "Domain Name Details" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been getting an error that my remote web site is not available from the Internet.  This is a new error...I've been able to access my WHS from outside my home from day one.

After much troubleshooting I noticed that the IP address shown on the WHS Console -> Settings -> Remote Access -> Domain name -> Details...  is different than what I see on my router admin panel or if I visit http://whatismyipaddress.com/ (which matches what the router is telling me).

I tried shutting down the WHS box for a few hours, hoping when I turned it back on it would "see" the correct IP address but that didn't work.  I can access my WHS if I use the external IP address in my browser's address bar, just not if I use https://<name>.homeserver.com

How can I force the dynamic IP address to update?

Thanks,

Paul

Friday, February 4, 2011 8:24 AM

Answers

• Ok, I figured it out.  The problem was me.  When I reassigned a static IP address to the server (I was playing around with the network recently) I neglected to manually enter the DNS servers' IP addresses.  Once I fixed that the problem was resolved in a minute.

Hopefully this will help someone else someday...I'm on Verizon FiOS and found all kind of posts about FiOS not working well with WHS (blocked ports).  That wasn't the issue...we don't have any blocked ports with FiOS here.  The only thing blocked for me was my brain :)

Thanks for the help, Henk.

Paul

Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:05 AM

All replies

• Normally this should be updated automatically, may take some time before the new address has been propagated to the nameservers.
    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Friday, February 4, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Ok, I figured it out.  The problem was me.  When I reassigned a static IP address to the server (I was playing around with the network recently) I neglected to manually enter the DNS servers' IP addresses.  Once I fixed that the problem was resolved in a minute.

Hopefully this will help someone else someday...I'm on Verizon FiOS and found all kind of posts about FiOS not working well with WHS (blocked ports).  That wasn't the issue...we don't have any blocked ports with FiOS here.  The only thing blocked for me was my brain :)

Thanks for the help, Henk.

Paul

Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Sorry to raise this zombie, but I'm having exactly this problem. In my case, a new cable-modem came with a new IP address. It's been 8 hours and WHS (v1) still believes it needs to use the old IP address (with no longer resolves). The new IP is good (tested), but I don't know how to make WHS look there.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Since orginally buliding WHS v1 in 2007, I've changed routers several times with no DNS/IP issues.  I'm guessing from what you posted that you were using dynamic ip addressing.  Ensure that you are using a static ip address for WHS, then reboot server, it should be picked up with no issues.
    • Edited by Sirius B Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:06 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:05 PM