none
Ctrl+Click Top Related Threads Deletes Work in Progress

Question

• This one bites me all the time and I actually lose data when it happens, so it's really annoying!

If I'm writing an answer, or otherwise posting a reply, sometimes I like to have a quick peek at the top related threads.  So I will (in Chrome, Windows 7) Ctrl+Click the link to open it in a new tab.  The only thing is that for some reason, it doesn't open in a new tab -- it opens in my current tab.  And when I click to go back, the text of the post I was editing is gone.

I can't figure what it is about the link that makes it misbehave like that, but I think it's one of the webtrends.js mouse event listeners that does something special on the Ctrl+Click. Because if I right-click and choose open link in new tab, then everything is fine.  But if I Ctrl+Click (which is normally what I always do to open links in new tabs, and have for years) I get the weird navigation.

I want to stress that this is important because it DESTROYS the post that I was editing.  There's no "are you sure you want to navigate away from this page" message or anything to accompany this surprise data-destroying behaviour.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ha! Also, middle click doesn't work on those links in Chrome either (to open in new tab). But both Ctrl+Click and middle click work fine on those links in IE.

Interesting bug!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:46 AM
    Owner
  • I submitted this as a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

• Marked as answer by Wyck Friday, February 7, 2014 2:20 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 6:49 AM
    Owner
  • YOU did it, Ed.
    ---from Chrome.

Visual Studio Cloud Services
    Http://msdn.microsoft.com

Friday, February 7, 2014 7:23 AM
  • Burned by this again today.  *grrrrr*
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Today's build gives different behaviour.  Now Ctrl+Click is just completely broken for the related threads links.

While I have to acknowledge that this is better than losing my data, I'm shaking my head a little bit because Ctrl+Click is supposed to work but doesn't.

It still isn't meeting my expectations.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:25 PM