none
Trying to run Synch Toy from the command line RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I discovered SyncToy and have started using it. I created all my pairs in the Gui and sync'd my drives. Following that I looked into scheduling the sync and discovered the Command Line parameters.

At first, I ran SyncToycmd -R but am getting messages as follows -

SyncToyCmd has detected that the folder pair My Music has not been synchronized
    yet. Please run SyncToy.exe to complete the initial synchronization.

I don't understand why since I have synced all my pairs within Windows (windows 7)

Next, I ran

SyncToy -d(left=D:\My Music,right=\\192.168.0.197\backups\My Music,name=My Music,operation=contribute,check=yes)

When doing this, in Windows I saw the app flash up really quickly but nothing seemed to happen. Checking the log file shows me this -

*** Failed to construct a valid folder pair from the string: (left=D:\My. Exception handled:Length cannot be less than zero.
    Parameter name: length

Can anybody please help me? All I want to be able to do is schedule my synching.

Thank you in advance

Left Folder is on Windows 7 x86
    Right Folder is a Network Drive (Iomega)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:05 AM

Answers

• Can anybody please help me? All I want to be able to do is schedule my synching.

Thank you in advance

Two things:

The command is to setup a folder pair from the command line. Not to schedule the sync itself. When you want to schedule use windows scheduler and use the command SyncToyCmd.exe” -R”Folderpair”

Your command fails because of spaces in the pathname. You should use the next syntax:
    SyncToy -d(left="D:\My Music",right="\\192.168.0.197\backups\My Music",name="My Music",operation=contribute,check=yes)

Hope it helps,

Regard, Rob
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, December 25, 2009 2:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by PieOPah Friday, December 25, 2009 5:35 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:21 PM

All replies

• Can anybody please help me? All I want to be able to do is schedule my synching.

Thank you in advance

Two things:

The command is to setup a folder pair from the command line. Not to schedule the sync itself. When you want to schedule use windows scheduler and use the command SyncToyCmd.exe” -R”Folderpair”

Your command fails because of spaces in the pathname. You should use the next syntax:
    SyncToy -d(left="D:\My Music",right="\\192.168.0.197\backups\My Music",name="My Music",operation=contribute,check=yes)

Hope it helps,

Regard, Rob
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, December 25, 2009 2:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by PieOPah Friday, December 25, 2009 5:35 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Thank you for replying.

I was aware that the synctoycmd was not to schedule the sync. I have been testing the commands to ensure everything works so I can then put it into a batch file to run on a schedule.

I had tried numerous times to use quotes but could never seemto get it to work. Obviously I was putting everything in the wrong place! Thank you for the correct syntax...

It would seem that in order for me to get the command line tools to work, I have need to delete the pairings set up in the GUI and start again.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
    Simon

Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:40 PM