Advice on WHS migration - hw setup RRS feed

• Question

• Im starting to have a HD problem on my old HWS v1.0 product and instead of fixing it, I'm looking to create a new server based on WHS 2011.  My drive configuration in the old system looked like this:

System Drive - 500GB

Data Drives - 4 500GB

I had folder duplication on for everything and I'm only using about 1/2 of the total available 2.27TB of storage with this configuration.

What is the best configuration for RAID with 2011.  My priority is safety from HW failure; if a drive fails, I want to be able to rebuild my data, or system drive with little problem.  It can take some time, but I want to be able to get back in to the state prior to the HD failure.

As a note, I've had many HD failures over the years in the existing system including the system drive.  I was always able to get the system up and running again.  The consideration for moving to 2011 is to have an easier time restoring Win 7 64-bit OS's.  I'm not even sure that is possible on WHS 2011. 

If it is, then maybe I should just replace my failing drive.

Advice?

PKingRoch
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• You can do all you want without using RAID. WHS2011 has server backup built in which in the event of hard disk failure of the primary OS disk, it can be restored from a server backup. Data is also backed up to a schedule of your choosing. What you don't get is the data availability you would get using RAID. Personally I don't like an OS on a RAID array.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:38 PM
  • OK, so then this scenario is feasible?

c: - 100GB System Drive - SSD

e: - 2TB Data Drive

f: - 2TB Backup Drive

This way, both C and E can be backed up to F since I'm only using about 1/2 of the space for Data anyway.  Does the system drive really need backed up?  I know you could rebuild the system drive on WHS v1 and just add the data drives back in.  Would a RAID 1 on the E drive eliminate the need for a backup?

Lot of questions - thanks for the advice Phil!

PKingRoch
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:23 AM
  • The minimum size for the primary drive is 160GB although you may find a work around. RAID is more for data availability rather than backup - think fire, flood, theft etc. With a backup you can store your valuable data offsite - rotate  2 drives to be safe.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 12:17 PM
  • My primary concern is surviving hard disk failure.  If one fails, I want to have the ability to replace it and not lose my data.  We perform other forms of backup for offsite storage.

I guess that's my real question; what configuration will help me survive hard drive failure and not lost data without having to resort to those offsite backups?

PKingRoch
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:57 PM
  • RAID would give you that but the data would be totally inaccessible if for example the RAID card dies. Performing a server backup would allow you to restore your server and data to what it was when that backup was taken.

Monday, November 21, 2011 11:17 PM
  • As I mentioned, all I really care about is the data is available on the server and I have the ability to survive a HD crash without the need for a physical backup.  My intention here is to make my life easier, not spend my time doing backups and moving them off site.  WHS v1 gave me that. 

PKingRoch
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Windows Home Server's server backup feature will give you what you want, if you let it. It includes the ability to perform a bare metal restore of your server. And no, you wouldn't need to access your off-site backups in that case; the backup disk currently on site would be the most current, and so would probably be the one you would want to restore from.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Windows Home Server's server backup feature will give you what you want, if you let it. It includes the ability to perform a bare metal restore of your server. And no, you wouldn't need to access your off-site backups in that case; the backup disk currently on site would be the most current, and so would probably be the one you would want to restore from.

OK, so then this would be one way you could go with WHS 2011:

c: - 160GB System Drive - SSD

e: - 2TB Data Drive - all backups, music, photos.

f: - 2TB Backup Drive back up of C & E drives

No RAID, and assuming that I'm not closing in on capacity on the 2TB disk, correct?

PKingRoch
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Yes.

Make F: an external drive, add one more external, rotate the externals off site regularly, and you'll have an excellent disaster recovery setup that will let you recover from an actual disaster, rather than just a disk failure. :)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Sounds like one of my systems although I use my SSDs for more deserving causes.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:56 AM